The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:03 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: need some info on adding pics to thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Neil: I think what you are running into is that you haven't created an Album for your photos. Here is how I do it:
In the blue menu bar where it says "Gallery", click on that and select "Upload Photo". When the next page loads, there is another blue menu bar with the words "My Photos-My Albums-My Favorites". Click on "My Albums", then on the far left in small print below the title "My Albums" you will see "Create a New Album". This is a one time process.
Now to upload photos go back to the "Latest Forum Post" page and click on "Gallery" then select "Upload Photo". When the next page loads, scroll down a bit and you will see the title "Upload Photo" in the second blue menu bar. Under the second drop down menu where it says "None", click on that and select your Album from the list. Then all you do is click on the "Browse" buttons to select up to 10 separate photos to upload from your computer. This sounds complicated, but once you have done it once it is pretty simple.
Larry, got to this point, then the aforementioned "My Photo Gallery Message" blank dialogue box shows up, with no way to enter data or for that matter to Continue or Exit.
Once you have your photos uploaded then click on the thumbnail of one of the photos so the full size photo appears, then scroll down to where you see the words "DIRECT LINK", click on the link to the right, that will cause the text to highlight, then do a CNTL-C to copy the link. Now go back to your thread and above the text box, you will see a small yellow rectangle that looks like a mountain with a sun on the right, click on that and a window appears, click in the link box and do a CNTL-V to paste your link, then click ok. If you did everything correct you should see text like this
[IMG]your link would be inserted between theseimg symbols[/IMG]
Then if you want to be sure the image is going to display properly, click on the "Preview Post" button first before you click on the "Submit Reply" button.
Larry, thanks for the considerable effort you (& Frank) have obviously spent on this, but as you'll see in my bolded comment above, the process still dead-ends at the infamous "My Photo Gallery Message" dialogue box.

I don't consider myself stupid, and as a former Patent Attorney think I can follow directions pretty well. However, I've spent all the time I'm going to spend on what obviously is a pretty complicated procedure (compared to those earlier halycon days . . .). To those wanting to upload images to their posts, I'd reiterate what I (& Fred, below) said earlier: Use PhotoBucket; it's as easy as this procedure is difficult.

Neil

P.S. Larry, this crossed with your last posting. I agree, no sense further belaboring the point if NAFFF's IT can't for some reason simplify the procedure without opening the Forum up to virus attacks. Suggestion: maybe put in the FAQs section on posting images the PhotoBucket alternative. Other Members will see that there's an easy alternative to the NAFFF posting procedure.

Last edited by Fly2Fish; 05-05-2011 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Update
Old 05-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: need some info on adding pics to thread

Neil: I can see that you have successfully created an Album (that was the hard part) titled "Fly-Fishing Equipment. I added a photo to that album to make sure everything was working fine, took maybe 30 seconds (see below).

Click the image to open in full size.

Now all your really need to do is:
1. Click "Gallery" in the menu bar, then select "Upload Photo"
2. On the next page scroll down to the area titled "Upload Photo" and in the drop down box labled "none" click on that and select the Album "Fly2fish: Fly-Fishing Equipment".
3. Click on the Browse button to find a photo on your computer to upload (remember the max size is 100 KB).
4. After the photo loads, scroll down to the Direct Link and click on it and do a CNTL-C to save on your clipboard.
5. Go to thread and click on yellow icon and do a CNTL-V to paste it into your thread.

The above procedure isn't that difficult, but you could eliminate those three steps by using PhotoBucket., but the issue with PhotoBucket is that the photo link may change over time. You will see that on certain threads where folks use PhotoBucket. Originally, the photo link worked fine, but then over time it no longer works.

Larry

Old 05-05-2011, 11:54 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: need some info on adding pics to thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Neil: I can see that you have successfully created an Album (that was the hard part) titled "Fly-Fishing Equipment. I added a photo to that album to make sure everything was working fine, took maybe 30 seconds (see below).

Now all your really need to do is:
1. Click "Gallery" in the menu bar, then select "Upload Photo"
2. On the next page scroll down to the area titled "Upload Photo" and in the drop down box labled "none" click on that and select the Album "Fly2fish: Fly-Fishing Equipment".
3. Click on the Browse button to find a photo on your computer to upload (remember the max size is 100 KB).
4. After the photo loads, scroll down to the Direct Link and click on it and do a CNTL-C to save on your clipboard.
5. Go to thread and click on yellow icon and do a CNTL-V to paste it into your thread.

The above procedure isn't that difficult, but you could eliminate those three steps by using PhotoBucket., but the issue with PhotoBucket is that the photo link may change over time. You will see that on certain threads where folks use PhotoBucket. Originally, the photo link worked fine, but then over time it no longer works.

Larry
Larry, I did this earlier - through Step 3, when I then ended up at the infamous "My Photo Gallery Message" dialogue box. However, the pictures on my hard drive are JPEGs, but a lot larger than 100 kb. Is that perhaps the problem, because it would take a lot to reduce an almost-2 meg picture down to 100 kb? I didn't seem to have any problem with the PhotoBucket upload of the same picture - perhaps another reason to favor the PhotoBucket alternative.

In the interests of conserving server space, can the new album I created be deleted, as I have no intention of using it further?
Old 05-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Sorry, Frank. Even though you've shortened the steps from the previous thirteen to five, I always end up at a blank dialogue box entitled "My Photo Gallery Message", with no way to enter data in it (if I even knew what to enter) nor any way to continue or exit the process. Now, I may be doing some things wrong. See my bolded comments after some of your steps, above. Some of the button labels, colors, etc. you specify are not there on my computer when I go through the steps.

Neil
Hi Neil,

Thanks for your comments. My guideline was wrote when the default color was still Brown. That option is still available for those who like it. I removed the color so there is no confusion. My browser says Choose so I added Browse for clarification. How the site looks to an individual is dependent on what browser and options they use.

I didn't reduce the number of steps. This is the procedure to upload photos to NAFFF and is copied from the FAQ.

Thanks for your help.

Frank
Old 05-05-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
. . . I didn't reduce the number of steps. This is the procedure to upload photos to NAFFF and is copied from the FAQ.
Frank,

The thirteen steps that I said you had reduced to five are still in the FAQs posting you wrote [from NAFFF FAQs "How Do I Post a Picture on NAFFF", by Frank Whiton]:
"How to Up Load photos to the NAFFF Gallery:

1. Look at the Menu bar across the top of the Forum Page. Locate the "Gallery" link and click on it.

2. In the Gallery click on "Upload Photos" on the right end of the menu bar. This opens another page for uploading photos from your home computer.

3. Select the "Choose/Browse" button on the page. This takes you to your computer to select your photo.

4. Find your photo and select it by left clicking on the photo. The address of the photo will automatically appear in the NAFFF Choose/Browse window. You can select up to ten photos at one time.

5. After you have selected your photos and the addresses are in the Choose/Browse windows, click the Upload Photos/Submit button. You photos will appear in My Photos or My Albums. You could also select one of the other categories to up load your photos to.

Copy and Past

You can not Copy and Past directly from your Gallery into a post. You must use the Insert Image Tool that follows.

The Insert Image Tool
The Insert Image Tool looks like this: Click the image to open in full size.

After you have uploaded you photos into your personal gallery on NAFFF, you need to follow this procedure.

1. Select the Gallery and My Photos or My Album or where whatever you have up loaded your photos.

2. Left click on the photo (Thumb Nail) you want to insert into a post.

3. The Photo will expand into full size with the address below.

4. Scan down and left click the Direct Link address to highlight the link.

5. To Copy the photo Direct Link address make sure the address is high lighted. Then select "Control" and "C" at the same time on your Keyboard. This will copy the photo Direct Address.

6. Open a post or return to your post and select the location in the post that you want the photo to appear.

7. Select the Insert Image icon Click the image to open in full size. at the top of the Post Reply edit window. A small window will open so you can add the photo Direct Address.

8. To add the photo address select "Control" and "V" or right click on the http: and select "Paste." The photo address will appear in the address window. Now select "OK" at the bottom of the address window and your photo will appear at the location you have selected."

Looks like thirteen steps to me.

Neil
Old 05-05-2011, 09:42 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Larry, I did this earlier - through Step 3, when I then ended up at the infamous "My Photo Gallery Message" dialogue box. However, the pictures on my hard drive are JPEGs, but a lot larger than 100 kb. Is that perhaps the problem, because it would take a lot to reduce an almost-2 meg picture down to 100 kb? I didn't seem to have any problem with the PhotoBucket upload of the same picture - perhaps another reason to favor the PhotoBucket alternative.

In the interests of conserving server space, can the new album I created be deleted, as I have no intention of using it further?
Neil: PhotoBucket automatically reduces the photos for you. You will have to reduce the photos before uploading here, so that could very well be your problem. On my office computer I have Photoshop, but on my home computer I use Pixlr (free): Photo editor online / free image editing direct in your browser - Pixlr.com
Put that address in your browser and when the window opens, Click on the "Open Image From Your Computer", browse to a photo, then when the photo is displayed the first thing I do is select IMAGE, then IMAGE SIZE, and normally for a landscape type photo I reduce the width to 1200 pixels. Then select FILE and then SAVE. That will open a dialog box, in the bottom right corner you will see SIZE: 209kb (for example). Then you play around with the QUALITY slide bar (moving to the left reduces the photo size) and after a couple tries you will have the photo at 100kb or below. Then just click on OK to save the modified photo (it gives you the opportunity to give it a new name (be sure when you name the photo it had the .jpeg on the end). If you forget to add the .jpeg, then when you view the file on your computer as a thumbnail it will just be a white box, you can then right click on the file and select RENAME file and just add the .jpeg to the end of the file name. I've made that mistake a number of times.

Larry

Old 05-06-2011, 10:27 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Thnaks for all the help i done the photo bucket thing and it works great once i got in it