The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold
Default Riverbeast Beast Fly rod CHEAP ON EBAY

Anyone ever use one of these things? Looks like they were an upstart company that didn't make it, or is still trying. Anyways, there is a 9'4wt 4pc on ebay for 28.00 OBO. I offered $18 and the seller accepted it! $10 shipping but it comes with a tube, a tube will cost you almost $28 by itself! I'll try it out, and if it is terrible it will be a good rod to hand to a friend who wants to tag along and try fly fishing.

The seller has 9 more available if anyone else wants an extra cheap rod to play with.

Last edited by ausablebrown; 05-04-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Riverbeast Beast Fly rod CHEAP ON EBAY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausablebrown View Post
and if it is terrible it will be a good rod to hand to a friend who wants to tag along and try fly fishing.
Way to win friends
Old 05-03-2011, 03:34 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I really don't think that you have much to lose. Give it a fair wiggle. If it isn't what you expected, you now have a backup.

Dennis
Old 05-03-2011, 03:35 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Way to win friends
Ok, maybe that came out wrong...or maybe it came out right and I'm just that way. Just meant that they can scrape the tip-top against a bridge, and yank on it when they get hung up, without me having a care in the world.

It looks like a legit rod though; carbon fiber reel seat, good looking cork. The listing states that they used to be carried by Bass Pro and were $99 rods. The only review I found online was for the Riverbeast Stalker and it looked really sharp in the close-up pics. The reviewer (whoever that may have been, possibly salesman) wrote very highly of the other model.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... don't get me wrong, I was only making a joke. Personally I have a stack of rods that were bought in the same price range. All but one are very usable, and a couple are great.

I'm sure that the bad one (a Berkley Performa IM6) has some manufacturers defect with the taper. I kept taking out because I thought that I had to be mistaken Finally took the tip-top off so I wouldn't use it anymore.

I've thought about giving it away to a "friend" but that would be cruel.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Jason,

These days it's hard to find a truly 'bad' rod. Some may be too soft or too stiff for certain applications but almost all that I have tried regardless of price are quite fishable. As for using a less than "my favorite rod' as a loner you've got the right idea there. I would probably not hand a custom built favorite to a first time fisher to use.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

OUCH!

" .... I would probably not hand a custom built favorite to a first time fisher to use. "

Did that once and cost me a full 're-build' (well replacement) of a Sage 2-hander. Telling 'Nice Lady' on the phone on Bainbridge Island 'what happened' and she was in stitches; 'He did what???' She lost it laughing ... 'You've got to be ******* kidding me????'

Teaching my one and only total failure how to use a 2-hander. Pulls his anchor, fly/leader zips behind him and wrap into a tree limb. When he made the forward cast and that line came up tight the rod (Sage 7136-4) exploded like it had 'det-cord' run up it's middle.

And I do mean it exploded! 4 piece rod was now in 10'ish bits and pieces.

'Send me a couple of the bits (to her personal attention) and I'll send you a new rod (+$30.00 for shipping).'

I did, she did.

fae

Last edited by Hardyreels; 05-03-2011 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Too close to the line, sorry
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 AM

I should have said this from the beginning; The seller has 9 more of these rods listed for $28 OBO. Like I said he took $18 when I offered it. They are Nine Foot 4 wt rods with hard tube. Originally were $99 rods.
Old 05-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Heck Jason, I have a 6'3" rod that I paid 25 dollars for just the tube back in 1993! You can't go wrong here, keep me informed via PM on this when you get it will you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-04-2011, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Heck Jason, I have a 6'3" rod that I paid 25 dollars for just the tube back in 1993! You can't go wrong here, keep me informed via PM on this when you get it will you.
I think I've paid $25 for a tube before also; so I can go wrong with $28 to my door price. I think these are the last of the stock for this brand. There is no information elsewhere, except an extinct product page at Bass Pro Shops website. They have been on e-bay for quite a while as I remember seeing them months ago. The seller must be wearying of trying to get any real money out of them and is now just giving them away. I'll let you know if it will cast a fly. I should have it tomorrow.

Ill let you know what I think of it Ard. Not that my review is worth a whole lot, but I can let you know if I can cast the thing and what it looks like.