The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:51 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Caught a Rainbow Today, Sort Of....

I was fishing the Neshaminy Creek, and it was recently stocked with Rainbows and Browns. After catching a nice brown, I continued casting a heavily
weighted Green Weenie. I thought I had a take, but then it felt like a boot. The line moved upstream, and I'd never seen a boot do that. Turned out that
I snagged about 30 feet of monofilament with a really nice Rainbow attached! This fish had fantastic color, and had a small bait hook lodged just down from
its tongue. It was in that cartilage area, and wasn't bleeding. I was able to easily get the hook out, and then release him. The fish still had plenty of fight left, so I'm glad to have snagged him. It would have been a shame for that specimen to languish away like that.

Makes you wonder............
Old 04-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Caught a Rainbow Today, Sort Of....

FrankB2: NIce going, you saved a nice rainbow that will fight another day!

Larry
Old 04-09-2010, 11:29 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Good job, Frank.

MP
Old 04-09-2010, 11:35 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Guys,
I was expecting the worst, but this fish must have been recently caught: tons of fight left in him. Maybe I'll see him another day.

Confession: I'm not 100% saint. I left the 30 feet of mono, split shot, and hook on the bank after releasing the rainbow. The plan was to wade downstream, and then pick up the mess on the way back up. I waded upstream instead and thought about leaving it, but went back to pick it up.....
Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 AM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

it is ok frank. we have all done it. i usually cut the stuff into my waders. i will walk by and say oh ill pick up the piece trash on the way back..... and blow it.
Old 04-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi guys,

I gather mono all the time, seems there is always some wherever you are. If you want to leave some mono behind, take out that knife you carry, coil the line into a small figure eight and then cut it so that you end up with sections no longer than 4 - 6" of strait stock. Many birds will find some line useful in nest construction. I once watched a Thrush struggle with a coil of line and figured she / he must have wanted it for building materials so............................ I don't recommend doing this all the time but occasionally I leave some all chopped up.

P.S. Frank, I would count that fish as a catch

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-10-2010, 06:25 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

typical for the neshamminy creek. put and take. the bait guys dump their trash all over and don't care about the area. glad you help the fish, but by june if it isn't caught it will die from high temps.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 04-10-2010, 08:14 PM

Jakeway is on a distinguished road

I did the same thing this morning at my local lake, but it was a bluegill. He had a worm hook deep in his throught, with about a 6 inch heavy mono snelled-hook leasder protrudin gfrom his mouth. My Hare's Ear nymph was hooked in the look of the leader.

What are the odds?

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system
Old 04-10-2010, 09:14 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Good job releasing the fish! A couple of months ago my fishing partner was using a 3 nymph rig and actually lassoed a trout. No hook in the fish at all.
Hey if you are looking for a great way to store scrap mono, and lots of it, Ray and I use these. Hold an immense amount of line and you just pull out the centre and snip it all off with scissors.
monoMASTER - innovative fishing tool for storing waste monofilament
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.