The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Booby Fly Won't Float (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/13352-booby-fly-wont-float.html)

one trick pony 04-12-2010 01:51 PM

Booby Fly Won't Float

I've tied up a bunch of booby flies to use for smallmouth bass.

I used medium and large Rainy floating foam for the heads and #2 and #4 Gamakatsu Aberdeen hooks. I tied in the marabou tails and used chenille for the body.

But when I put them in the sink to test them, as soon as the feather/chenille is wet, the flies sink!

The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high. But I want mine to float for smallmouth and the darn things sink!

Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?

Hardyreels 04-12-2010 03:38 PM

Re: Booby Fly Won't Float

I would change the body material to something more buoyant. If the material I settled on was able to be dyed I would make it whatever color I needed to complete the patterns. Sounds like the foam heads should be OK but the marabou is going to get wet and sink as will the chenille body so........................... the body will be your area of concern because the marabou is important for its undulating appeal.

An afterthought; Spun deer hair may be your answer. I have never seen one of the flies you are tying but spun deer is one of the best natural materials there is for flotation. One more thing, welcome to the group. I see this is your first post, I hope you will do an intro and tell us where you are and what other species you fish for.

tob1 04-12-2010 04:01 PM

You may add some floatant to the chenille or have more foam on the fly, maybe this will help.
Some flytying chenille have floatant added from the manufacturer.

Trygve;)

Jimmie 04-12-2010 04:42 PM

I agree with Tob1 about more foam. You might try spliting some and tying it down for an underbody. I've never seen that fly so I'm not sure what you're up against, but the Rainey's should float.
Thanks to you I got to watch Dave Cammis tie another fly. I like watching that guy tie. Neat looking fly. According to another site they are fishing them with sinking line as a bouyant nymph that will give a lot of different underwater action. You may have the right tie working for you and the guys that are getting the high float may need to change. Like Dave said it's a UK fly so consider your source (me). A US guy that doesn't know a thing about that fly.

futuramille 04-13-2010 02:56 PM

You may try cutting a small strip of foam sheet and wrapping it up the shank. then use a wrap of chenille over that or just some dubbing. I've done that for a number of I floatation flies and it works if a bulky body isn't a bad thing. Deer hair tied in like a tail and then pulled back up towards the eye and wrapped in segments so you don't crush it all down...nice floating center for the same chenille or dubing over wrap.

Frank Whiton 04-13-2010 03:31 PM

Hi one trick pony,

If you must use chenille for the body you need to soak it in Hydrostop before you tie it in. Just take a foot or so and stick it in the bottle. Let it soak and it will float a lot better.

I would unravel macramé yarn and use it for the body. You can also use the Hydrostop soak and that body will float like a cork.

Frank

mojo 04-13-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by one trick pony (Post 88382)
I've tied up a bunch of booby flies to use for smallmouth bass.

I used medium and large Rainy floating foam for the heads and #2 and #4 Gamakatsu Aberdeen hooks. I tied in the marabou tails and used chenille for the body.

But when I put them in the sink to test them, as soon as the feather/chenille is wet, the flies sink!

The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high. But I want mine to float for smallmouth and the darn things sink!

Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?

That's how the UK fishers tie them. I'd stick with the body ingredients you're using, but get larger foam for the eyes. There's a reason they're called Boobies. Fish it with a sinking line and 24" or longer leader. You have to give the fly time to sink to the bottom of the river then start your retrieve.
Here's Rainey's Booby barbell eyes
Rainys Flies & Supplies - Boobie-Barbell Eyes

Guest1 04-13-2010 10:12 PM

Welcome to the forum One Trick Pony. Could you post a picture of the fly?

mrpro 04-16-2010 02:57 PM

You are right my friend, here in the UK, boobies are not only sneered at (the fly type!!) but on most private waters they are banned and you would get ejected from the lake for fishing them, that is whether they float or not!

If I had tied them in the past :) , I would have probably used a section like this...

http://www.coreaudits.com/images/DSCF0131.jpg

...and turned it into this by whipping the middle....

http://www.coreaudits.com/images/DSCF0133.jpg

....and bought something like this.....

http://www.coreaudits.com/images/DSCF0136.jpg

But considering I have never used boobies......I would never have tied them! (well, except yesterday! :) )

jpbfly 04-16-2010 03:38 PM

quote:The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high...
Boobies are used to fish in reservoir with sinking lines...it means they dive when you pull the line and slowly go up when you stop...you can fish very close to the bottom with them for the line is always under the booby .They're forbidden on many private waters as mrpro mentioned...because trout usually swallow boobies deeply so it's hurtful to them and hard to release them in good conditions.