The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:51 PM

one trick pony is on a distinguished road
Default Booby Fly Won't Float

I've tied up a bunch of booby flies to use for smallmouth bass.

I used medium and large Rainy floating foam for the heads and #2 and #4 Gamakatsu Aberdeen hooks. I tied in the marabou tails and used chenille for the body.

But when I put them in the sink to test them, as soon as the feather/chenille is wet, the flies sink!

The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high. But I want mine to float for smallmouth and the darn things sink!

Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?
Old 04-12-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Booby Fly Won't Float

I would change the body material to something more buoyant. If the material I settled on was able to be dyed I would make it whatever color I needed to complete the patterns. Sounds like the foam heads should be OK but the marabou is going to get wet and sink as will the chenille body so........................... the body will be your area of concern because the marabou is important for its undulating appeal.

An afterthought; Spun deer hair may be your answer. I have never seen one of the flies you are tying but spun deer is one of the best natural materials there is for flotation. One more thing, welcome to the group. I see this is your first post, I hope you will do an intro and tell us where you are and what other species you fish for.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-12-2010, 04:01 PM

tob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to beholdtob1 is a splendid one to behold

You may add some floatant to the chenille or have more foam on the fly, maybe this will help.
Some flytying chenille have floatant added from the manufacturer.

Trygve
Old 04-12-2010, 04:42 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree with Tob1 about more foam. You might try spliting some and tying it down for an underbody. I've never seen that fly so I'm not sure what you're up against, but the Rainey's should float.
Thanks to you I got to watch Dave Cammis tie another fly. I like watching that guy tie. Neat looking fly. According to another site they are fishing them with sinking line as a bouyant nymph that will give a lot of different underwater action. You may have the right tie working for you and the guys that are getting the high float may need to change. Like Dave said it's a UK fly so consider your source (me). A US guy that doesn't know a thing about that fly.

Last edited by Jimmie; 04-12-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: got some info
Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

You may try cutting a small strip of foam sheet and wrapping it up the shank. then use a wrap of chenille over that or just some dubbing. I've done that for a number of I floatation flies and it works if a bulky body isn't a bad thing. Deer hair tied in like a tail and then pulled back up towards the eye and wrapped in segments so you don't crush it all down...nice floating center for the same chenille or dubing over wrap.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi one trick pony,

If you must use chenille for the body you need to soak it in Hydrostop before you tie it in. Just take a foot or so and stick it in the bottle. Let it soak and it will float a lot better.

I would unravel macramé yarn and use it for the body. You can also use the Hydrostop soak and that body will float like a cork.

Frank
Old 04-13-2010, 07:44 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by one trick pony View Post
I've tied up a bunch of booby flies to use for smallmouth bass.

I used medium and large Rainy floating foam for the heads and #2 and #4 Gamakatsu Aberdeen hooks. I tied in the marabou tails and used chenille for the body.

But when I put them in the sink to test them, as soon as the feather/chenille is wet, the flies sink!

The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high. But I want mine to float for smallmouth and the darn things sink!

Has anyone else had this problem? Solutions?
That's how the UK fishers tie them. I'd stick with the body ingredients you're using, but get larger foam for the eyes. There's a reason they're called Boobies. Fish it with a sinking line and 24" or longer leader. You have to give the fly time to sink to the bottom of the river then start your retrieve.
Here's Rainey's Booby barbell eyes
Rainys Flies & Supplies - Boobie-Barbell Eyes
Old 04-13-2010, 10:12 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to the forum One Trick Pony. Could you post a picture of the fly?
Old 04-16-2010, 02:57 PM

mrpro is on a distinguished road

You are right my friend, here in the UK, boobies are not only sneered at (the fly type!!) but on most private waters they are banned and you would get ejected from the lake for fishing them, that is whether they float or not!

If I had tied them in the past , I would have probably used a section like this...

Click the image to open in full size.

...and turned it into this by whipping the middle....

....and bought something like this.....

But considering I have never used boobies......I would never have tied them! (well, except yesterday! )
Old 04-16-2010, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

quote:The irony is that in the UK where they use these things for trout, there is controversy because they float so high...
Boobies are used to fish in reservoir with sinking lines...it means they dive when you pull the line and slowly go up when you stop...you can fish very close to the bottom with them for the line is always under the booby .They're forbidden on many private waters as mrpro mentioned...because trout usually swallow boobies deeply so it's hurtful to them and hard to release them in good conditions.