The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2011, 11:35 AM

flycaster1 is on a distinguished road
Default Here's a formula for making twisted leaders

Until a few days ago, I never heard of a twisted leader. Some folks have been helping me get ready for a trip to Placencia (I leave for a week on 5/10). One of the things mentioned was the use of twisted leaders instead of spending time making biminis (Wasn't going for records, simply trying to reduce tarpon break-offs) I took him up on it and made a couple for my 5wt Sage that I use for LMB here in SoFL.

Made a single twist 6'leader of 20# fluoro. I felt that this single twist leader would perform like a straight 40# leader. And, undoubtedly, if I had made the leader with a butt section and a mid-section, it would ahve been even better. Tested it out this morning with a clouser, gurgler and a largish, wind-resistant bucktail fly. The leader was unreal: Turned over everything very nicely, casts appeared to be more accurate with softer landings. In three words, "It was great."

With my new found conversion from regular to twisted leaders, I figured that there must be a formula that will allow one to calculate how much starting line is needed for a given length of twisted leader. Could find one on the net, so I developed one based on the premise that this will be a two stage leader with a butt section that is twice as long as the mid-section...

Total length of line = Y
Total length of twisted leader = X
Given that we want a butt section that is twice the length of the mid-section, then
Length of butt section = 2/3 X and Length of mid-section = 1/3 X
Working with an already formed leader, the formula is:

X/3 [the mid-section] + 2 (2/3 X) [the full length of the butt section before it was folded at 1/3 the length of the single twisted line] = Y/2 [the length of the beginning full line folded in half], which reads
X/3 + 2 (2/3 X) = Y/2, solving for Y
Y = 10X/3: The length of line needed to form a twisted leader with a butt section twice the length of the mid-section is ten times the desired TL's length divided by 3. Or, 3.3 [10/3] times the TL's length

So, in order to find the length of line needed (Y) to form a 5' TL (X)...plugging in the numbers...
Y = 10(5)/3 = 50/3 = ~17'

Deriving a table from this formula (BTW, this formula is only good if you want the butt section to be 2/3s of the total length of the TL)

Length of line (Y) Length of TL (X)
17 ' 5'
20' 6'
23' 7'
27' 8'
30' 9'
Old 05-04-2011, 04:20 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Here's a formula for making twisted leaders

Wow, that pretty crazy..... thx!
Old 05-04-2011, 04:46 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: Here's a formula for making twisted leaders

Owwww.... Brain hurts.

I think you may have inadvertently posted to the wrong forum: this is NAFFF North American Fly Fishing Forum--- I believe you were looking for NAAFF North American Algebraic Formulas Forum.

On a serious note-- Very cool of you to put the time in to help those out that will use it.