The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2010, 03:32 PM

gti_guy is on a distinguished road
Default Got my gear. (Fly Tying Content)

Well I am proud to say that I am now the happy owner of a Thompson Model A vise. It's quite nice, low frills as told by members on here, but it's functional. I started tying flies last night for about 4 hours. It's extremely meditative and reflective to do. I quickly noticed that my three colors of thread (black, white, and olive) weren't enough. I need to buy more products already. I will post pictures soon of my "flies". I was looking over some of the flies I tied last night, it was a wet fly with white and chartreuse buck tail and red lead eyes, looked quite nice. I started pulling on the buck tail to see how sturdy it was, and much to my dismay, the whole fly just disintegrated in my hands haha. I couldn't stop laughing. Well I'll leave you with that and feel free to leave any tips. So far my most cumbersome part is tying the knot on the fly.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Got my gear. (Fly Tying Content)

GTI,

With all hair wings and tails a drop of head cement will save you much grief as you go along. I got in the habit of doing this on my dry flies long ago and learned that on the more articulated flies it is even more important. Not much time to do it and it will pay off in spades. Also keep bunch's of hair on the sparse side this will help with them staying intact.

Glad to hear you found your model 'A', I used one for many years and still use one of the seldom seen 'A' 360* vises. Bulletproof!

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-13-2010, 04:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm tying on a Thompson this very minute.
It was an upgrade from an old Herter's twenty something years ago.... still good enough for me
Old 04-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Gti_guy,

Congrats on the the vise- it sounds like you're on your way. That fly you were tying sounds like a clouser minnow. It's great pattern and very effective for all kinds of fish. I like to use strong thread for them so I can crank down on the wraps to bind in the bucktail. (I use Danville's Flat Waxed Nylon for them) It's too bulky for small trout sized flies, but a good choice for saltwater patterns and many bass flies.

There's a ton of info in the fly tying forum if you want to browse through some old threads--- and feel free to post pics if you want some constructive feedback and ask questions as they come up. We have a bunch of great tyers here that are good about helping folks get off to a good start.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by gti_guy View Post
Well I am proud to say that I am now the happy owner of a Thompson Model A vise. It's quite nice, low frills as told by members on here, but it's functional. I started tying flies last night for about 4 hours. It's extremely meditative and reflective to do. I quickly noticed that my three colors of thread (black, white, and olive) weren't enough. I need to buy more products already. I will post pictures soon of my "flies". I was looking over some of the flies I tied last night, it was a wet fly with white and chartreuse buck tail and red lead eyes, looked quite nice. I started pulling on the buck tail to see how sturdy it was, and much to my dismay, the whole fly just disintegrated in my hands haha. I couldn't stop laughing. Well I'll leave you with that and feel free to leave any tips. So far my most cumbersome part is tying the knot on the fly.
gti_guy: Welcome to the club! If I had to guess I would venture to say 80% of us old timers started tying on a Thompson Model A, I used one for years and you will find that is a very well made vise and will stand up to years of tying. As you have already learned "I need to buy more products already". It never ends, I have been tying for over 20 years and everytime someone comes out with a new pattern, guess what, you won't have all the materials the original tyer used, so it is a never ending process of acquiring materials or substituting which is also fun to do. As Mark suggested, ask questions and the forum members will offer help. If you live in a location where there is a fly fishing club or maybe a Trout Unlimited Chapter, or maybe just a fly shop that offers fly tying lessons, I would recommend that you take advantage of the opportunities. You will be amazed at how hands on instruction will help with the smallest of details. Probably the best book I have seen for beginning fly tying is Charlie Craven's "Basic Fly Tying". Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy, you won't regret it.
Be sure to keep us posted on your progress and keep an eye out for the fly swaps that Mark hosts in the winter months, they are a lot of fun and don't be shy about joining in just because you are a beginner, we would love to have you participate.

Larry
Old 04-14-2010, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

CongratsI've still got an old Thompson I sometimes use...hope you'll tie as many flies as I've tied with mine
Old 04-14-2010, 12:09 PM

brandy will become famous soon enough

For the knots at the end, take a look at these videos:

YouTube- NEW FLIES - HAND WHIP FINISHING - NEW FLY TYING VIDEOS
YouTube- How to Tie a Fly for Fly Fishing : How to Whip Finish by Hand: Basic Fly Tying Instructions
Old 04-14-2010, 04:45 PM

Many thanks guys. I am unsure if there is a local fly shop or fly fishing chapter around my area, I live in Minnesota and in the city to boot so I'm sure I'm kind of an off breed to most around these parts. I am going to Cabelas tomorrow to pick up a few more items mainly threads. I am hoping to post some pictures tonight of the few flies I've managed to deem worthy enough to be up for review. I brought the completed ones into work today and a few people gave their feedback, and one guy wanted my white/chartreuse buck tail wet fly, so I gave it to him. I think that's what I'm going to find the most rewarding about doing this, is giving my flies away...Well that and hoping to landing some fish on my own hand tied flies. I suppose I'll kind of make this my own little thread of a beginners perspective to fly tying so check back and give me notes on my progress.

Happy Tying and Fishing,

GTI_GUY
Old 04-14-2010, 06:15 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

Hello,
What city are you in, the way you said it I am guessing Minneapolis? There are not a lot of our type here in Minnesota and even these in the way of fly shops. There is the Fly Angler in Blaine (I have only been there once). The Cabela's in Rogers fly shop has some really nice guys. Two of them(John and Steve) ran their first tying class this winter and did a good job, very knowledge and happy to help us beginners.
Cabot
Old 04-14-2010, 06:21 PM

Wonderful to hear, I'm actually going there in about 15 min. and yes I live in Minneapolis, as stated a bit of an off breed, but I like that too. I will have to inquire about seminars for fly tying when I get to Cabelas. I strongly agree with your statement, some very knowledgeable guys there, not sure who helped me when I was there last.