The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 12:35 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road
Default Double Nymph Rig: Point vs Lead for Heavy Fly?

Ok, I've read myself in circles on the topic of point vs lead for the heavy fly of a double nymph setup.

Can someone simply breakdown the conditions under which you would tie the heavy fly in one location vs the other? Seems like I've read the same explanation for both setups. Maybe it doesn't matter?

-Paul
Old 04-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Double Nymph Rig: Point vs Lead for Heavy Fly?

Are you tying the nymphs on the leader with a dropper system?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-14-2010, 01:28 PM

pl4a is on a distinguished road

Hopefully I answer your question correctly... I have been tying one on the leader and second one off bend of the first hook. Below is a good picture that shows heavier fly on lead, but I've also read about reversing the order. I don't understand the intended benefit of 1 setup over another. Hopefully that makes sense.

Click the image to open in full size..
Old 04-14-2010, 01:58 PM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

Makes sense to me and I do not think it makes a difference one way or the other but I would think with the possibility of a snag and break off the heavier one in the front would break off and you would loose two flys but with the heavier one in the back hanging up you might just loose one.
Old 04-14-2010, 02:14 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Depends on the bugs you're fishing for the most part. I often fish a weighted stonefly nymph in the lead because they tend to live on the bottom and are generally a larger heavier bug. Then drop a ptail as a free drifting beatis 8-14" off the bend of the stonefly nymph. On a three bug rig I'll add a tiny (#22-26) midge like a black beauty or miracle midge on a tippet one size smaller than the lead two flies. The smaller tippet tends to give the midge a more life like tumbling drift.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:50 AM

mrpro is on a distinguished road

I use to have the same issue floating around in my head until I realised it doesn't matter one little bit. If you are going to get a take then it makes no difference.

I try to think like a fish when I question things like this, "would I go for a nymph more or less depending where the heavier nymph is"?

Of course, it does make a difference how you present the bait on the cast and the retrieval, but assuming you are not fishing in anything less than 20inches of water, go either way.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:35 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

p14a, really good question!
We have deep pushy water. The lead fly, or bill board fly (think "Got milk?"), or decent fly, is to help get the fly into the laminar flow on the bottom.
Big guys like a large portion, but some think small is safe, (desert portion). The picture points out a problem though. Sometimes the small one "flags up out of "the zone". I often will add a small pinch of Loon's Deep soft weight to the droppers leader.
Using light tippet, a split shot can bruise it (cloudy color), that's right where it will break.
When you get just a shot back, you'll know.
As a guide, I'd like smooth sailing for my clients, (no tangles). With a water load cast, or roll cast, and the flies tied on in descending order of weight, we can play all day without problems. Putting a bigger fly on the bottom but several AB or BB up high, I find strange orbits can occur. Bad, bad, bad. Can't catch fish if the line's not in the water.
Master this and you'll own them!
Good luck.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-16-2010, 01:13 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by pl4a View Post
Hopefully I answer your question correctly... I have been tying one on the leader and second one off bend of the first hook. Below is a good picture that shows heavier fly on lead, but I've also read about reversing the order. I don't understand the intended benefit of 1 setup over another. Hopefully that makes sense.

Click the image to open in full size..
I use this method all the time. In the spring I will add split shot until I drag bottom and then reduce a smidge.

Sometime the end fly will be an attractor as well. Mostly it will be a midge or small soft hackle or Hairs ear.