The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 11:44 AM

we2fish is on a distinguished road
Default Fly lines costs

Hello: I'm new to this forum and have a ton of questions so bear with me. My wife and I have been flyfishing for a few years now, and by no means are we experts. We get out a few times a year and have fished up and the down the Western U.S. When we started we went to our local flyshop and bought Sage Rods with Scientific Angler reels. The did the set up for us. Put on our lines, leader,tippets etc. Since then, we've gotten pretty good at knot tying, I think. We took a few lessons and were on our way. We've had tons of fun and caught some pretty nice fish. Now we want to get a bit more serious about the sport so we plan to go to Durango, Co and contact Duranglers and hope to have a guide take us out. One of the questions that I have is, Why is there such a big difference in the cost of Flylines. We've had our for about 3 years now and want to replace them. My wife sees folks with colored lines so of course she wants to change to one of them. Is there a difference beween colored and white, which is what we have now. We have double tapered floating lines. I hope this isn't to dumb of a question but I hope to learn from you folks out there.
thanks in advance
Manny and Kathy
Old 04-17-2010, 12:24 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly lines costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by we2fish View Post
Hello: I'm new to this forum and have a ton of questions so bear with me. My wife and I have been flyfishing for a few years now, and by no means are we experts. We get out a few times a year and have fished up and the down the Western U.S. When we started we went to our local flyshop and bought Sage Rods with Scientific Angler reels. The did the set up for us. Put on our lines, leader,tippets etc. Since then, we've gotten pretty good at knot tying, I think. We took a few lessons and were on our way. We've had tons of fun and caught some pretty nice fish. Now we want to get a bit more serious about the sport so we plan to go to Durango, Co and contact Duranglers and hope to have a guide take us out. One of the questions that I have is, Why is there such a big difference in the cost of Flylines. We've had our for about 3 years now and want to replace them. My wife sees folks with colored lines so of course she wants to change to one of them. Is there a difference beween colored and white, which is what we have now. We have double tapered floating lines. I hope this isn't to dumb of a question but I hope to learn from you folks out there.
thanks in advance
Manny and Kathy
There are many reasons for the difference in prices of fly lines as in any product. Material quality, R&D, tapers, etc. I've always been told DO NOT skimp on flyline. Given that there are a number of things to consider buying a flyline (too many to get into in this post), the best way to go about picking one at this point in you're careers is to go to a reputable fly shop in you're area and let them know about you're casting skills and what kinds of fly fishing you do the most. They will be able to help you choose the lines that best suit you're needs and styles. As far as colors are concerned...its all a matter of preference. No difference whatsoever. Good Luck!! BEWARE....FLY FISHING IS ADDICTIVE!!
Old 04-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Manny and Kathy-

Welcome to the forum, sounds like you two are both having fun.

As you've noticed there's a big difference in the cost of fly lines, with some lines running 20 bucks or so on up to Scientific Anglers Sharkskin at 99. Most companies (Scientific Angler, Rio, Airflo) will have decent lines at a price point of 40 and their premium lines at 65-70

In addition fly lines will vary in the

actual weight of the fly line with some "5 weight" (as an example) lines being heavier in actual grains than other "5 weight" lines,

tapers (wf/dt orspecialized for nymphing or streamers)

density- floating/intermediate/sinking

stiffness/coating- slickness and shootability for better distance

floatability- some premium lines will float higher/better

Picking one out can get really confusing.

Color- opinions vary on this, but like Pegboy1, personally I don't think it matters too much for a floating line, since in most cases it will tend to appear black from below (as a silhouette). That said I generally prefer a muted shade ("buckskin", pale green or blue etc rather than blaze orange or some other high viz color).

Ideally you should try different lines to see what works best with your rod and casting style, and it sounds like you are blessed with a local fly shop (most of the ones around here are long gone). Pegboy1's advise is right on about getting help from them.

But be aware of the fishing conditions you typically encounter as opposed to focusing only on the maximum distance you can reach--- many people find that they typically fish moving water in streams usually fishing 20-40 feet out--- In moving water across different currents speeds, just because you might be able to cast 90 feet with a premium line doesn't mean you should-- you'd be better off wading closer and fishing with less line on the water.

What model of Sage rods and fly line do you guys have now? What types of distances do you typically fish and how far can you cast now (with a 9 foot leader)? This might help folks weigh in about some fly lines to try.

Paying a bit more for a premium line can often improve distance a bit-- BUT if you had to choose between paying more for a premium fly line fly line and getting a tuneup with a good casting instructor that can help with timing and mechanics, the instruction would be a better investment - at least for most of us.
Old 04-21-2010, 05:28 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

I had the opportunity to upgrade to a higher end flyline when I bought a new rod a few years ago. I had always bought the $20-$30 WF lines. The better one I bought was A DT in the $60 range. It really made a difference in the distace I can cast. The better lies have much less memory so they tangle less. I also think the DTs are a better bargain because you can use both ends. I always recommend spending the money for a higher end line for anyone who has their casting pretty well down.
If you're going to pay for a guide, that would be a good place to get a recommendation for a line replacement.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Manny and Kathy,

Welcome to the forum. We have many fly fishing husband and wife members. You should feel right at home.

You will have a great time if you fish the San Juan. Duranglers is a nice fly shop and will take good care of you. There are some specific guides that fish the San Juan and we may be able to help you choose one. Although they may not fish for Duranglers.

Let us know what rod and line you are using now. I think you may be at a place where you should consider a weight forward fly line. Fishing out West you are more likely to find a weight forward line better meets your requirements.

Frank
Old 04-22-2010, 06:32 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I've always used cheap WF lines from SA, Rio or the like, and have usually been fine with them. On my 5-weight, it really isn't that big of a deal. I can cast well enough, mend and do everything else I need to do with it.

On my faster action 8 weight though, cheap line is really a pain in the neck. I used a more expensive saltwater line on a recent trip, and it felt significantly better than my cheap freshwater line. I was able to cast a good 30 feet farther with it, mainly because of the coating, which made it way easier to shoot line through the guides. It also picked up off the water much easier, and for whatever reason, just felt like it loaded the rod better. I'm finding that my cheaper line is getting tangled a lot more often as well, especially when using similarly weighted flies that I used with the saltwater line.

Basically, the coating, the taper and the "feel" of the line will be better (less memory I think). My next 8 weight line will hopefully be nicer.