The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 07:21 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default Airflo Balance Fly Fishing reel,,,,what size

well i am looking at a Airflo Balance Fly Fishing reel...are they any good?
Click the image to open in full size.
also what size for a 9 foot rod,,mountain fly fishing

---------- Post added at 05:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:08 PM ----------

WF 3/5
WF 7/9
WF 9/11

Old 04-18-2010, 09:03 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Airflo Balance Fly Fishing reel,,,,what size

Certainly a radical design when considering what I am accustomed to using. I would imagine it comes down to the weight of the reel as opposed to other makes, this in accordance with the rod you plan to use a new reel on. If drag is an important issue for you getting a hands on test may be a good thing to do.

I would look to reviews posted on the open Internet and hope to gather a consensus from them. I know no one who has owned one.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi

Here is another link about the Airflow Balance Reel. Joni likes the reel and owns one. If you can get by the looks and the mechanics then go for it. I wonder how you would palm a reel like that?

Frank
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

Someone tell me why? or should I wait for GPS and fish finder located on a reel. Does not make sense to me to take something pure that is fun and get gadgets and gismos to in effect spoil the sport.

Question: is Why Bother?
Old 04-19-2010, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rock,

I see in another thread that Joni uses the reel and likes them. I am not opposed to the look or design of the reel. What I meant in the earlier post is that most of my reels are of a traditional sort. However I do have a Lamson Velocity 3.5 that I bought a couple years ago and have become fond of it. As with all new things I left it set for a year before I actually took it out and used it. For me this was a 'radical' change from the reels I'm used to but the drag is good and the appearance kinda grows on ya, I'm sure you'll like one of these air flo reels once you settle on one. I think they are interesting at the very least.

This is what I was used to............
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

This was my new reel........... pretty radical for me;
[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]

Go For It...................
Old 04-19-2010, 08:14 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

You all ought to love this classic picture:

No it isn't bamboo either...LOL

It is a cool reel, very light weight and a really good drag.

Now the con: The spool and the cage have a small gap, but big enough for the leader to slide through and wrap around the center pin. Not a big deal, but also not common.
Other than that, a great reel for the price, and if nothing else, a great conversation peice.
Remember I tie with a Vosseler Double as well.....LOL

It puts the spool right on top your hand. Doesn't feel different than any other reel.

I love mine and glad I have it....would I buy another....probably not.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:29 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Joni,
That's a very interesting fish you have there. Cutbow?
Old 04-20-2010, 08:04 AM

well went with a PFLUEGER SUPREME 1890
I got it used for a very good price,,,do you think I will like it?

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:01 AM ----------

do you think i will still have to worry about line getting through the spool space.
the reel i am using now does it all the time and hate it for that,,
Old 04-20-2010, 09:03 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Just the leader, the line doesn't. It is a hassle some times. I like the rod cases with the reel pouch on them so I usually leave the reel on and leader pulled through the first guides.
Lot quicker set up and on the water that way.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:12 PM

well things have changed,,,I won a new airflo on ebay for $50 shipped