The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2010, 10:29 PM

smallieman will become famous soon enoughsmallieman will become famous soon enough
Default A redhorse or 2

I need some help. I wanted to catch some Redhorse suckers but I have no idea on how they eat or what fly to use any suggestions?
Old 04-18-2010, 11:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: A redhorse or 2

Nymphs, small ones. Also if they are spawning sucker spawn might do well.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

size 12 or 10 black nymphs or some size 12 clown glo yarn eggs work great here in the lake erie tribs in ohio. they love them both just take a bb or smaller size split shot and add it maybe 12-15 inches above the fly cast into the riffles and let it drift naturally with the current. watch the tip of your fly line for any hesitations and lift the rod and set the hook! you will slam suckers all day long!!! you can use a indicator but i don't. can fish the same way for great lakes steelhead if they are there too. suckers are fun to fight. put up a good fight and run like carp do. here is a pic
Click the image to open in full size.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:07 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Smallieman, small stones, flashbacks, caddis larvae, or egg patterns will all work for Redhorse...

Dan
Old 04-21-2010, 12:30 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I decided this sounded like fun, and they are running right now so I spent the whole afternoon fishing for Redhorse Suckers. By the way, did you know they make a gin fortified beer in the Philipines called Red Horse? Any way, they are running up the Rapid River, which is aptly named, as you can see in the first photo.
There were Redhorse, both Silver and Shorthead. There was also a bunch of white suckers. You could see them stacked up in the more slack water in the rapids.
I tried a variety of small nymphs and did catch a few, but it was hard to get the fly down in that fast water with such small flies. The best was a beadhead Bloody Mary. I decided to try a clouser because I have caught them with a jig and minnow when fishing the river, (yes, I occasionally use things other than fly rods, please forgive me)
It worked pretty darned well. I caught more White Suckers than anything,, and some of them were big. But I also caught both Shorthead and Silver Redhorse. This was the most fun I have had in a while. I caught a ton of fish. It was hairy when they got out into the real fast water, and in fact I lost a bunch that way. I need a net caddy to run down the rocks after the big ones. They could take me out to where I could not get them back. I lost a few really big ones that way. I have got to say, that after experimenting a bit, I think the clouser may be the best way to go. I was letting the fly swing into the slacker water (All of it is pretty fast) and then just letting it hang in the current like I was Hot Shotting. It is hard to see the strikes sometimes, because they take the fly and then move just a hair up on you. You have to watch the line really close. If in doubt, set the hook.
One of a bunch of White Suckers I got today. Notice the Blue/White clouser in it's mouth.
A Shorthead Redhorse. I had a picture of a Silver Redhorse but it turned out bad. I'll get a better one tomorrow evening.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:02 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

good suckers! if you need to get the small flies down use a few split shot 15 inches or so above the fly. no need for a indicator neither. just cast into the fast waters and mend like normal then watch your fly line tip and wait for any hesitations and set the hook. works for me in my parts at least.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:33 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
good suckers! if you need to get the small flies down use a few split shot 15 inches or so above the fly. no need for a indicator neither. just cast into the fast waters and mend like normal then watch your fly line tip and wait for any hesitations and set the hook. works for me in my parts at least.
I had so much stuff with me I needed a darn pack mule, but didn't have one, and not a single split shot in the load. Figures huh? I will have some next time though.