The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 01:27 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of
Default Just stopping in with an update for some of you.

Hi folks. I have been nutsy busy the last bit here and since my tying stuff is put away I have not got too much to share with you. I will be stopping in once in awhile but between renovations, trying to get out fishing and Project Healing Waters Canada, I have little time until winter again.
That being said I wanted to let some of you know about a Franco Vivarelli reel that I received from Project Healing Waters in the U.S. They often share donations with us and this reel was one of them and I know they came from people on this forum.
The reel is in the process of making a difference for one young fellow up here. He suffered brain trauma and has lost most of the use of his right arm. One of the fellows on our Board is a guide on the Bow River and is working with him to facilitate his return to the river. The fellow is Marc, I will not give his last name for now. Marc used to fly fish on his own, but after the accident he was unable to really enjoy the river because doing anything one handed is difficult and as for tying on flies and casting/retrieving, well he was pretty frustrated.
So as his progress is marked I will keep you up to speed on how well the reel is working out for him.
In Canada we take people from the Canadian Armed Forces and all Protective services, police, Emergency Medical and Firefighters. I know in the U.S. it is soldiers but here we not only have to serve a larger part of the public to achieve a Charitable status, but we felt that we could not in good conscience turn anyone away.
Marc is excited as are we and I wanted all of you responsible for this reel to know your efforts were not forgotten. Talk to you all a bit later
Kerry Pitt
Project Healing Waters Canada
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-21-2010, 02:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Just stopping in with an update for some of you.

Kerry,

I have always known that you were a good and kind man just by reading your postings here. I admire your dedication to helping others and you are an inspiration for me to get up and do something myself.

Thank you for being a member here,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-21-2010, 02:47 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Likewise Kerry. The best to Marc, and the best for your project.
On another note I wondered where you were. I was about to post a "where is Kerry?" thread.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:29 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

thank you for your loving efforts Kerry.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:26 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Thank you guys. Coming from you it does mean a lot to me.
I have never thought of myself as a kind person, I am just a person I think.
Years ago I wanted to find a way to make fly fishing mean something more to me than just what I was doing. I tried several things but none of it was really going where I wanted it to go.
When I found Ed Nicholson and PHWI, I immediatley knew that was what I wanted to do.
Instead of starting my own Canadian entity I asked Ed if I could try to create a Canadian Healing Waters. Ed gave me the thumbs up and here we are today.
It was important to me (I have probably already said this) to bring PHWI to Canada because it symbolizes to me, that Borders are not an obstacle when it comes to people helping people. I am, first and foremost a Human Being and in my mind I should do what I can for others no matter where they are. Ed and the American Board of Directors gave me the ability to create a tool that will do the work I envision. The Canadian Board of Directors has empowered me to move ahead with the project and I am fueled by their support and that of the people who have asked to come into the program to find themselves again. I am humbled every day by the people who serve and protect us and the people who offer support. It has revived my faith in humanity and myself.
I am indebted to all of these folks who look for, or offer support. I have something to give back for a favor once done that changed my life and I hope we can effect positive change in many other lives.
By the way Jimmie, keep the checker board warm for next winter.
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:41 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

I am fairly new to the forum and don't know anyone that well yet but wow Kerry that is a very touching thing you are doing and whom ever donates items to charitable causes such as this should feel great about themselves. thank you for making me feel a whole lot better, there are still some decent people in the world.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for supporting the PHWC and giving us some news about the reels KerryI made a post about adjusting Vivarelli drag :Little tricks to share
It may help.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Kerry,

Thanks for filling us in. I really hope you have some time to stop by and visit. It is people like you that make NAFFF a success.

Frank
Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Kerry,

It's great to hear about Marc and the Vivarelli reel. I hope that the reel makes a difference for him and gets him back into Fly Fishing in an enjoyable way.

FYI - NAFFF donated a total of 10 semi-automatic Vivarelli reels to Project Healing Waters, through Ed, in the Summer of '09. I caught up with Ed at the Sommerset, NJ Fly Fishing Show this Winter and he clearly remembered the NAFFF donation.

It's good to see that one of them made it to your program in Canada.

Stop into the forum whenever you can. Stories like the one that you posted are always welcome and the concept of giving back, as well as those who practice it is, in my opinion, always to be admired.

Pocono
Old 04-22-2010, 11:18 PM

Thanks again guys. Hey I checked on the price of the reel I was thinking about another couple for down the road. You folks did not skimp on the quality.
I will print off the post about setting the drag as well. I hope to have pictures of Marc on the water fairly soon, I will ask if he minds me sharing them with you, but I am sure he will not mind.....Kerry