The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 03:42 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road
Default My new Sage ZXL 9' #5 weight

So, last year I started looking for the perfect #5 weight fly rod. I began with the forums. then I made my way to a couple of fly shops to do some casting. Well, I finally picked the SAGE ZXL was able to fish it. WOW! I love it. Any other fans?

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 05-07-2011 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:48 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: My new Sage ZXL 9' #5 weight

I own a 490-4 ZXL. It is used primarily as a dry fly and soft hackle rod. It has an easy going tempo to it which is great when I am burned out on faster rods. It tracks beautifully.

You will enjoy your stick.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2011, 01:30 AM

pescatrota is on a distinguished road

I own a ZXL 9' # 5. I purchased the stick when i sent the broken Scott in U.S. For me, is a good rod for dry flies, smooth, but not as my S4 9' # 5. Good for 40-50 feet distance, very difficult to find the right line. Probably i like faster rods.
Old 05-07-2011, 07:53 AM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

How does this rod's action compare to some of the classic Sage's such as the LL series? Do you feel the line rating is accurate and on that topic, what line did you choose?

-thanks, I'm looking at this series for a future rod or blank.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

I have the Sage zxl 7 wt that I use for tossing streamers, and I really like that rod, it is a little stiff but handles big furry streamers well, especially in the WY wind!

Larry

Old 05-07-2011, 09:39 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellb View Post
How does this rod's action compare to some of the classic Sage's such as the LL series?
The ZXL feels quicker than the LL.

Quote:
Do you feel the line rating is accurate and on that topic...
The line rating is accurate.

Quote:
...what line did you choose?
I am fishing a Rio Gold on mine. I originally fished a Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout Taper (WF configuration). It fished well with it, too.

Dennis
Old 05-07-2011, 09:55 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

I don't have a 5 wt. but I do fish a 860-4 4 wt. that I love. It's not as fast as my Z-Axis and when I want to fish a slower rod that can handle tandem nymphs and indi fishing I choose this rod from my quiver. If I want a slower rod, I fish my biix - it's definitely a faster rod than a Winston Biix.

I've used SA GPX, Rio Gold and SA Trout and prefer the Gold over the other two. The GPX slows the rod down too much for me. The SA Trout is ok in close but I prefer the Gold by far.

Great purchase. Hope you enjoy it as much as I enjoy my 4 wt.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 05-07-2011, 06:47 PM

DSFlyman is on a distinguished road

I too am using a Rio Gold and have no complaints.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:04 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The ZXL feels quicker than the LL.

The line rating is accurate.

I am fishing a Rio Gold on mine. I originally fished a Scientific Anglers Mastery Trout Taper (WF configuration). It fished well with it, too.

Dennis
Thanks for the comparisons!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:02 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Another fan here. I have the 386 and 486. Love the rods for easy relaxed fishing, point and shoot effortlessly. I use Rio Gold on both. Although, when it is really windy or when I plan on fishing streamers I reach for the Z-Axis.
Rich