The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2010, 10:50 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How Not to Treat a Fish....

This guy doesn't show any intention of keeping the fine trout in the video below, and his fish handling seems a bit rough. Am I being too harsh???

YouTube- Flyfishing in Montana

Forget wetting your hands before handling the fish in that video. The guy seems willing to stuff it down his pants!
Old 04-21-2010, 11:21 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Not to Treat a Fish....

you know i didn't even treat the trout i kept for eating like that, that is one of the worst displays of jackassery i have ever witnessed, if the guy didnt want to spook the rest and was keeping a 10-12 incher i could see the drag through grass and rocks routine but after the drag he walk heavy footedly to the rivers edge and the rest shall we say was ignorance?
Old 04-21-2010, 11:25 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Perhaps we can take up a collection and at least get this dude a pair of hemostats.
That, and he easily could have taken his bud up on the offer to be net man.
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31 PM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

no kidding and a bottle of water if the river water scares him so. lol
Old 04-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

That's what we call a "CALAMAR"
Old 04-22-2010, 06:58 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
This guy doesn't show any intention of keeping the fine trout in the video below, and his fish handling seems a bit rough. Am I being too harsh???

YouTube- Flyfishing in Montana

Forget wetting your hands before handling the fish in that video. The guy seems willing to stuff it down his pants!

I agree with you. if he was releasing. We don't know what he did at the end.

I keep all fish in the water myself and usually barbless hooks will release in the net. I think studies are starting to find more fish die than we as catch and release fishers know. We should all be gentle and keep the fish wet.

It is a sad video if he then pitched it back in.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:04 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Even if he releases that fish it will die of fungus infestation because it's protective slime has been completely removed. What a tool.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Lets give the guy a little slack, but not much. I can tell by his casting and lack of mending that he is not very experienced. I bet he is at a place that catching the fish and getting the picture is way more important than the fish. Lets hope as time goes on he places a higher value on the fish. Remember we all did dumb things when we were learning.

Frank
Old 04-22-2010, 09:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,
I caught an excellent stocked rainbow a couple years ago, and had every intention of eating it. The fish I caught did not want to be handled at all, much the same as the trout in the video. It jumped out of my net after I reached the bank, and was heading back to the water fast. I jumped onto the bank like a pro wrestler, and wrestled this fish into submission....I thought. He made another attempt for the water, and I rapped him on the head with my knife. Although it took a few blows to calm him down, it seemed that this was finally over. He began to wiggle again, so I slipped the knife into where I thought his brain was located. I wanted to get this fish home and cook it, so I slipped some heavy tippet through its gill, and began to carry it down the path. A couple with a little kid passed by, and the kid wanted to see the fish. When I held it up, the thing began wiggling madly again!!!! The kid screamed, and I ran to the car.

I haven't kept any fish since then, stocked or native, and would hope that the guy in the video released what looked like a fine specimen. I do take fish pics, but not at the expense of the fish. My wife caught a very nice brown last month, and I instructed her to hold the fish lightly for a photo. She did, but the fish jumped out of her hand (we were wading at the time). She didn't care, and was more than glad to see the fish swim away. That brown was caught on a C&R stream, and I've never seen a trout mistreated there.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Like I've said before, we need fish safety classes.
Fish go to school, why not us, as well?
My favorite "release" was this week. Kevin had his big brown (7lb), the fish posed, I took the picture, then the fish got wings (so to speak). 4 +ft of air, to a rip entry Sumo style.
The fish apparently knew about photo ops, and this one was over!
Wish I could have nailed the fish in the air, with Kevins expression.
I've handled a lot of fish, but it is never the same, they keep learning new moves.
I have more than a few photos of premature releases by good fishermen.
Frank called it, anytime it takes 5-6 false casts, and no mend, it would be a beginner. Like he mentioned, we were all beginners sometime.

Jim

Bigfly