The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default Does the color of fly line matter??

Does the color of fly line matter??
Old 04-22-2010, 08:24 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Does the color of fly line matter??

Personally, I like muted colors for fishing and bright colors for practice casting and instructing.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:25 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road

i have a hard time seeing the line on a long drift...thinking of getting a bright line...red or bright orange
Old 04-22-2010, 11:25 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

For the most part I don't think it matters in the slightest. If you have spooky fish go with a color that will match it's background, NOT YOURS, i.e. light blue for the sky, greens for the trees. You would not want a black floating line for two reasons, it is as contrasting a color that you can get from the white in the clouds, and it is hard for you to see against the darker water. This is why fish evolved with a white belly and dark backs. It makes them hard to see from the top and the bottom. I line fish all the time, and do it with every color you can think off, including bright orange, red, blue, mint green, and yellow. I have not seen where it makes any difference whatsoever. In fact the only color I hate is black as I think it is hard for the angler to see, and easy for the fish to see. By the way you can't buy a black floating fly line, because I'm sure that after millions of dollars in research, every single line manufacturer discovered that also.
By the way there was just a thread on this very subject.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Personally, I like muted colors for fishing and bright colors for practice casting and instructing.
Please explain what you mean by muted. I want there to no confusion you may mean black.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:15 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
For the most part I don't think it matters in the slightest. If you have spooky fish go with a color that will match it's background, NOT YOURS, i.e. light blue for the sky, greens for the trees. You would not want a black floating line for two reasons, it is as contrasting a color that you can get from the white in the clouds, and it is hard for you to see against the darker water. This is why fish evolved with a white belly and dark backs. It makes them hard to see from the top and the bottom. I line fish all the time, and do it with every color you can think off, including bright orange, red, blue, mint green, and yellow. I have not seen where it makes any difference whatsoever. In fact the only color I hate is black as I think it is hard for the angler to see, and easy for the fish to see. By the way you can't buy a black floating fly line, because I'm sure that after millions of dollars in research, every single line manufacturer discovered that also.

---------- Post added at 11:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:23 PM ----------

Please explain what you mean by muted. I want there to no confusion you may mean black.
Dan: Well said! I don't think color makes much difference either.

Larry
Old 04-23-2010, 08:37 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Quote:

So, let me get this straight, Dan--- You do or you don't like black lines? You weren't especially clear in your post (nor were you clear in the thread that you started about your buddy marking up his line...) LOL

and for the op-- lots of good info here: Fly line color, does it matter?
Old 04-23-2010, 10:28 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
No black line fetish here, though I have to admit many of my sinkers and shooting heads are black or close to it.
By muted I mean olive and such. Not a line that flashes when waved overhead in bright sun light.
I still contend that on the water and because of contrast most lines will appear dark.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Raindog,

I can answer that one, Dan and I have covered this at length on chats. He is not a black liner by any means nor am I. Dan has a fishing bud from Canada who is a black line fan, not Dan. I agree with Jackster that the bright lines when false cast over wary fish do little in the way to hide your presence. If the fish are 4 - 5 year old brown trout (read that as BIG) they will head for cover when they see that "Sunburst Yellow" line overhead. Even while using muted color lines I would recommend setting your distance somewhere other than over the fishes lie and placing only the presentation cast to the mark.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:08 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I should explain. My Canadian friend has tried to drive me insane with his relentless fetish for black, combined with his refusal to drop the subject. He had me to the point where I thought.......well, have you seen scanners?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I saw it! Pretty weird but I have felt that way already too.......................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;