The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 09:49 AM

fishingbum is on a distinguished road
Default Travel With Fly Rods

Hi everyone

I've heard so many conflicting stories on what is and is not allowed when flying with a fly rod and flies. I know there is an the official TSA policy, but that it is not consistent in it's enforcement.

What has been the experience you've had in the past few months?
Thanks
Alan
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Travel With Fly Rods

Hi Alan,

While I haven't (unfortunately) been able to air-travel with a fly rod since the "Christmas Bomber" raised the level of scrutiny, my experience previously never gave me any problems with either rod tubes or a rod/reel combo carrier. Although these most recently have been 4 or 5-piece rods, several years ago I had no problem carrying a two-piece 8-footer. Of course, I usually fly Southwest Airlines, who in my experience is the most "user friendly" airline.

One thing I have had problems carrying is my inflatable waist belt PFD with its CO2 cartridges. Although TSA regulations clearly allow them being carried on board as carry-on or checked as baggage, fully half the time the TSA screeners are not aware of this. Fortunately, I always carry a current copy of the TSA regulations specifically allowing carry-on of the belt and CO2 cartridges or I would have had them confiscated. To be on the safe side, I'd suggest you do the same with the TSA regs specifically allowing fly rods as carry-on baggage.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:42 PM

vixen0211 is on a distinguished road

Hello Alan,

I flew two weeks ago on Delta to Key West, Florida. I decided to carry on my fly rod in a metal carrying case. TSA didn't have any problems with it. They just simply asked what was in it and when I told them they understood because a couple of them were fishermen.

I asked at the ticket counter if I could bring it on before I went and tested it on security. I had no problems. I think the worst they will do is take everything out of the case and make sure there is nothing illegal in there.

As for the flies, I think as long as the "blade" is shorter than two inches then it is ok.

Good luck

Last edited by vixen0211; 04-24-2010 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Marty and I check all of our gear; rods, reels, leaders, flies, boots, waders, vests, clothes, etc. and have never had any problems with luggage handling or lost luggage. We both use a Fishpond Rodeo hard-bottom duffel; it carries a ton of fishing gear plus all of the leisure clothes that you want to have with you when you're not fishing. These bags have been to Japan, Chile, the UK, Belize, Montana and other destinations.

We've never had a problem; and this from a person who does a lot of business traveling and who would never fly on business with anything but carry-on luggage.

The risk is certainly theoretically real, but so far, in practice, it hasn't been a problem for us. [Perhaps I should be knocking on a very large piece of wood! We'll see.]

Pocono
Old 04-23-2010, 09:42 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: Travel With Fly Rods

Hi Pocono,

Curious what you all were fishing for in Japan ;-)
Old 04-24-2010, 05:10 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Fly2Fish,

I was in the mountains just Northwest of Nikko (about 150 miles North of Tokyo), fishing a small steep-gradient stream; not far from its headwaters. The species that we were catching were called "Yamame"; a Japanese salmonid, and "Iwana", a Japanese char. Both species are small; 6-9" being the average size, they move extremely rapidly and occupy only gin-clear water.

I was fishing there with another NAFFF member, Neversink, who lives near Tokyo.

It was a lot of fun. I plan to return one day; totting my favorite 7'6" 3 wt!

Pocono

PS - for a view of the water that we fished, google "Shalom's Forest".
Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 AM

Very interesting, Pocono. Curious to know whether the flies that work here in the U.S. also worked in Japan, or did you need specialized flies there?

Cheers,
Neil
Old 04-25-2010, 05:16 AM

Neil,

I was given some "local" flies to fish, which did not look very much like the common US patterns; neither the dries nor wets. But, the most productive fly that I used in two days of fishing near Nikko was a parachute Adams, in size #18. Although perhaps not a favorite pattern yet in Japan, it was certainly a favorite with their trout and char species.

When I returned, I sent Neversink (who has fished extensively in the Catskills; hence his forum name) a box of flies that work well here in the Pocono Mountains, including the parachute Adams pattern in a variety of sizes. I believe he also found that these flies work well in Japan.

Overall, although we're separated by some pretty large pieces of water, insect life around the globe tends to be surprisingly similar; from one geography to another. What varies are the features that each country/region/culture focuses on when they develop patterns to mimic the local insect life. This, to me, is what shows up as the differences between flies from one region and those from another.

Pocono
Old 04-27-2010, 01:20 AM

Stan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really niceStan Wright is just really nice

I agree with taking a copy of the TSA Regs. My son and I usually divide everything up.... flys and rods. 1/2 goes as luggage and 1/2 as carry on.
With a full change of clothes incase the luggage gets "lost".
So no matter what happens.... we've got at least one set of everything to use.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Wright View Post
I agree with taking a copy of the TSA Regs. My son and I usually divide everything up.... flys and rods. 1/2 goes as luggage and 1/2 as carry on.
With a full change of clothes incase the luggage gets "lost".
So no matter what happens.... we've got at least one set of everything to use.
Wise advice, Stan. No point having an expensive trip ruined because of missing gear.