The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Adams Pattern- - A History

For those of us who fish for trout using the Adams pattern (is there anyone who doesn't?), here's an interesting short article by Tom Deschaine on the evolution of the fly; starting with its development by Len Halladay and moving forward to the present time.

It's interesting to note the changes in the pattern over time and the sequence of the changes. For example, I had never known that the tail started off as Golden Pheasant tippet fibers, nor that the body of the original was gray wool. The evolution from the forward-facing spent wing to today's split upright wing is also something that was new to me. The new versions have a strong Catskill influence, but the original was much less so.

My "go to" dry fly is the parachute Adams; in either #14 or #16, so I have a special interest in the evolution of this pattern. I actually like it better with the Golden Pheasant tippet tail.

The Adams: History Revisited by Tom Deschaine | Hatches Fly Tying Magazine

Enjoy the evolution!

Pocono
Old 04-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Adams Pattern- - A History

Allan: What a great story on the history of the Adams fly! Thanks for sharing. As you said: My "go to" dry fly is the parachute Adams. I totally agree with that, it is a very effective pattern.

Larry
Old 04-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Allan...now I know the history of this famous pattern
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Thanks Pocono, I always thought it originated on the East Coast.

As time has passed this is the West Coast Adams
Click the image to open in full size.

Adams Irresistible, My favorite Adams, Not a true Adams but it works
Click the image to open in full size.

Frank
Old 04-24-2010, 03:17 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Thanks for the link Alan...It was a nice article...

Dan