The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 11:53 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Gentlemen style fishing?

A few friends of mine will sometimes play a game of "Gentleman's" fishing with me. We take turns on a hole, three drifts each (or five, or whatever).
If you tangle up, you are done. Lose you turn.
This forces you to calm the fever/frenzy and focus on a perfect cast, drift, bug, etc...
Fishing behind someone raises the bar to a guides level too, in that, we often have to fish behind someone (you can't always be first).
A great part of this, is sitting and watching how another angler does things.
You think to yourself, how good was his bug selection? His drift?
What am I going to do different/same when it's my turn?
When you do score with a fish, after a friend has already fished the run or whatever, it is satisfying. If it's a big one, well.....
Knowing you can fish behind someone, and can search more effectively for fish, is a huge step towards becoming a deadly "Fish Ninja". It's way fun as well!
Gentlemen/ women, care to play?

Jim

Bigfly
Old 04-24-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Gentlemen style fishing?

My Pennsylvania fishing buddy and I used to do this in a very non competitive manner when fishing Spring Creek and a few other spots. I enjoyed watching someone else fish. Of course if you choose to go first that meant leaving me up in the woods with the backpack full of food and beverage............................... Not always the best strategy, not that I would take advantage of my access but.............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
My Pennsylvania fishing buddy and I used to do this in a very non competitive manner when fishing Spring Creek and a few other spots. I enjoyed watching someone else fish. Of course if you choose to go first that meant leaving me up in the woods with the backpack full of food and beverage............................... Not always the best strategy, not that I would take advantage of my access but.............
Ard: LMAO! That was funny, I guess I better let you go first so I can keep an eye on lunch (if we ever get to fish together).

Jim: I have never done that, but it sure sounds like fun and it would certainly get you thinking how to improve your game.

Larry
Old 04-24-2010, 12:47 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Larry, not everybody can sit and watch when fish are rising, and you should be very selective when you fish "non-competitively" with friends. If you want to keep them as friends.
A limited amount (if any) of heckling is recommended.
Ard, the picnic/party being enjoyed behind you, can throw one's game off as well (especially when thirsty).
The ruthless, can play a version of call pocket. One drift per player, it only counts if you call it. That fish, this drift. Hang up, miss a fish, lose your turn.
Played with one rod between two players.
Not for the faint of heart, but it will raise your game.

Jim

Bigfly

Last edited by Bigfly; 04-24-2010 at 09:30 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 12:54 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Around here we do a variation of this on our guides day off float trips. We call it baseball. We use this came to ensure everybody get a fare share of fishing and does not get stuck on the oars. Three fish and you switch from fishing to rowing. Hit or miss, after 3 fish you take the oars till the next fisherman goes through his three. Can be great fun on awesome days. On tough days it can make for some long sessions on the oars that requires voluntary trade offs at the oars.

Have to try the Gentleman Fishing when we get out to work specific runs!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-24-2010, 02:55 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

That sounds like a great game...

Dan
Old 04-24-2010, 11:18 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I used to fish with a guy that did a competition thing with me. $1.00 for the first fish, last fish, most fish, and largest fish. Perch didn't count and Rock Bass counted one against you. There were days you could end up in the hole in a hurry.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:14 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

When my buddy Phil and I do this it runs along the same lines with the exception that heckling is a major part of the deal!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:08 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, have done this. I like it because I can lean a lot by watching others (if I can manage the itch that Jim describes and get past the concept that someone else just hooked "my fish"!)

When we're fishing from a boat where only one person can fish at a time, Marty and I usually practice "10 casts or a fish". It works pretty well, keeps you focused on the fishing (because if your partner comes up empty, then 10 casts doesn't take that much time) and gives you just enough time to heckle (ummm...let's change that to select and tie on another fly), if you're the one that just came up empty on your turn.

One fly competitions also provide some of the same friendly "tension" as does the on the water cycling that Jim describes.

Ard, I keep the lunch in "my" backpack!

Pocono
Old 04-25-2010, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

I don't like fishing alone as much as before...it's a greater pleasure to fish with a friend...so we usually fish one spot each...often swap rods too,sometimes take only one rod.I'm lucky to have a long experience to see fish under the water and read streams so I enjoy showing them to friends and I'm really pleased when they catch them.It's also interesting to see what one can do when the other can't catch a fish or send the fly or the nymph to the very right place.When we fish with different flies or nymphs we practice what we call"new balls"it means trying the same spot with a different fly