The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 03:32 PM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default what can you tell me about a 2010 - EAGLE CLAW 8'0" FEATHERLIGHT FLY ROD ...

2010 - EAGLE CLAW 8'0" FEATHERLIGHT FLY FISHING ROD ...
would i be happy with this rod,i do alot of small river fishing here around Asheville nc....will a 7/9 reel work on it?
Old 04-24-2010, 04:12 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: what can you tell me about a 2010 - EAGLE CLAW 8'0" FEATHERLIGHT FLY ROD ...

I can't tell you anything about it-- you might try X-posting this to the fly rods section of the forum. Probably have better response there.

-or- if it is the fiberglass rod (that I think it is), you might try google-ing a glass forum and get their take on it....

I have a light weight glass rod and it is a blast....
Old 04-24-2010, 04:15 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: what can you tell me about a 2010 - EAGLE CLAW 8'0" FEATHERLIGHT FLY ROD ...

I may be wrong, but I believe the 8' Featherlight is a 5/6, not a 7/9. You can use a 7/9 reel on there, just spool it with 5wt or 6wt line, and it ought to be fine. The weight of the larger 7/9 reel may have a negative effect on the combo's balance, though.

I have the 2007 7' Featherlight, and it's a nice small stream and panfish rod for the money.

I had an opportunity this afternoon to handle a 2010 7' model at Dick's and was surprised at how rough and inconsistant the wraps were. One of the two they had in stock had several cracks in the ferrel, underneath the wraps. It looked like they were there before it was wrapped. The reel seat is definitely a step up from the '07 model, but everything else looked like a step down. It's entirely possible that the two '10 models I looked at were simply bad examples, but I'm definitely having second thoughts about ordering a 6'6" 3/4wt like I was planning to do later this week.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: what can you tell me about a 2010 - EAGLE CLAW 8'0" FEATHERLIGHT FLY ROD ...

.... the best rod twenty bucks can buy... well the 6 1/2' 5wt is anyway

as far as I know the Featherlights only come in 6 1/2' 5wt and the 7' 6wt. Both are usable small stream rods for cheap.
Get yourself a matching (cheap) reel to go with. A Medalist or a Martin would do it

I have a 1963 Feather Light, which at the time was made by Wright & McGill. It's one of my favorite rods. It rates as a 5wt, but I use a 4DT on it most often. I've fished it twice this week... so far

Last edited by Rip Tide; 04-24-2010 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-24-2010, 08:22 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Rockhoppernc,

Send a PM to forum member "Joni"; the picture in her avatar is, I think, an Eagle Claw Featherweight. Both she and forum member "Mojo", her husband, know a lot about fiberglass rods. I have one of the 5 wts. and it's not a bad rod at all. I agree with Rip Tide that a Pflueger Medalist reel would be a good match for that blank; it's not the lightest rod out there in the market!
Old 04-24-2010, 09:47 PM

stasher1 will become famous soon enoughstasher1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
.... the best rod twenty bucks can buy... well the 6 1/2' 5wt is anyway

as far as I know the Featherlights only come in 6 1/2' 5wt and the 7' 6wt. Both are usable small stream rods for cheap.
Get yourself a matching (cheap) reel to go with. A Medalist or a Martin would do it

I have a 1963 Feather Light, which at the time was made by Wright & McGill. It's one of my favorite rods. It rates as a 5wt, but I use a 4DT on it most often. I've fished it twice this week... so far
According to the new catalog, the 6 1/2' 5wt is no more. They now list a 6 1/2' 3/4wt, a 7' 5/6wt, and a 8' 5/6wt.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:49 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have one of these that I put a micro spinning rod on for my 9 year old to help him make the transition to fly rods. He loves catching bluegill and small trout on it. I have casted it with a 5 wt fly line and can get 40 to 50 ft but it is very slow and very whippy. I suspect it would work with a 4 wt line if you wanted. I have not fished it on the river, but I suspect it would be an ok small stream rod and if you only had a few bucks to spend or wanted a rod to keep in the car that wouldnt break you if someone pilfered it, it might be just the ticket. It gives a decent fight even with small bluegills which is why my boy likes it.

d