The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 09:21 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough
Default Shad on the Potomac

MoscaPescador sent me some Shad flys last week from CA to see how they worked here on the East Coast. Well they sure did. I picked up close to 30 Americans one that taped out at 24". I attached a pic of the hot fly. Only bad part of the trip was when I left the parking lot without my Sage RPL in its orginal tube. No idea what happened to it but is was not in the truck when I got home.

---------- Post added at 10:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shad on the Potomac

Ouch sorry to hear about your rod.

But congrats to you--- and to Mosca. Those shad must have been a blast. Sounds like you had a great day on the water.
Old 04-24-2010, 10:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to read about your loss. It's good to know that California flies work out there. I fished the Sacramento River and got a dozen shad the other evening. Most were on that Crystal Pinkie.

MP
Old 04-25-2010, 06:51 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Well looks like good news. I called down to the boat house today and apparently somone found the rod. I passed on my contact info so I expect a call this morning. Here's a pic of one of the Americans.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:12 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

It looks like you dodged the bullet on that one.

MP
Old 04-25-2010, 11:39 AM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Shad on the Rappahannock.
Tracker,
I'm just south of you in VA. That's the same Shad fly I have been using for the last 2 years. I found a broken one 2 years ago...copied it and it's been a 'killer'. Most of the Shad on the Rappahannock are Hickory and every now and then we'll get an American.
I use it single or as a dropper on a #1 or #2 Olive Clouser. I got 20 last Monday and that's in 90 minutes. I missed that many I suspect on the #1 Clouser. They were hitting and I was catching on both Monday. Due to their small mouths, I think most of the misses were on the Clouser.
I'm still looking for that 50-60+ day. I had one last year and I thought my arm would fall off. The guy infront of me had to have caught 100! He had to quit only because he could no longer cast his fly out and could no longer bring them in. He was 'toast', but he was beaming from ear to ear.
This is the peak. So if you have never fished for Shad.Get out!..It's a blast!
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

I have been wanting to try the Rap but have not made it down there. You should it the Potomac the Americans give twice the fight az the hickories.

By the way the rod is safe and sound. Talked to the guy today he said he was taking care of my baby and giving it plenty of fluids. Woo Hoo.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:47 AM

cshelton is on a distinguished road

never fished the potomac but I was just on the susque by the damn for the hickories and rocks! It was slow this year, didnt even hook any on my fly rod, but last year I hooked into like 50 or so with my fly rod!!! Awesome!