The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 01:23 AM

byhaugh1 is on a distinguished road
Default Please give the name of a guide service you have used on the Yellowstone

Hi,
I have fished the Yellowstone Park area quite a few times. I usually fish south of the park along the Henry's Fork and less in the Park itself. I have used Henry's Fork Anglers, but believe they specialize more in the area south of the park.

I plan to be there from mid-July to the end of July and want to use a good guide service at least one day on the Yellowstone.

Your suggestions (based on experience) will be helpful.

Could email me as well: byhaugh1@mac.com

Thank you
Old 04-25-2010, 05:34 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Please give the name of a guide service you have used on the Yellowstone

Hi byhaugh1,

First off, welcome to the forum!

Second, a couple of years ago, Marty and I fished in an around Yellowstone Park. We use a guide that was affiliated with George Anderson's Yellowstone Angler and thought that he was very good. George's shop is located in Livingstone, MT; so well outside the park, but the variety of waters that we fished in the park was good and the local knowledge of the guide on all of those waters (Firehole, Nez Perce, Gardner, Slough, Lamar, etc.) was excellent.

You probably already know of George's outfit, but here's a link to it:

Montana Fly Fishing in Montana's Paradise Valley, fly fishing tackle, bookings with Outfitters and Guides and guides

Have fun!

Pocono
Old 04-25-2010, 05:39 PM

byhaugh1 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Please give the name of a guide service you have used on the Yellowstone

Thanks. I will certainly consider them. Did you fish the yellowstone itself with them? Do you recall the time period you were there? I take it from mentioning the Firehole you must have been there early in the season or late in the season due to the thermal waters entering it?

Thanks'
Byron
Old 04-25-2010, 08:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by byhaugh1 View Post
Thanks. I will certainly consider them. Did you fish the yellowstone itself with them? Do you recall the time period you were there? I take it from mentioning the Firehole you must have been there early in the season or late in the season due to the thermal waters entering it?

Thanks'
Byron
Byron,

We were there the first week in October, 2008.

Yes, we fished the Yellowstone; floated it; about 9 miles, with one of the guides from Yellowstone Angler. My wife outfished me almost 3 to 1 that day; that's going to take a lot of living down. I'm not even half way there yet. We got 4 species that day fishing dry/dropper rigs; Browns, Rainbows, Cutthroats and Whitefish; the Rainbows were particularly nice.

If you're thinking of staying in that area, then check out Chico Hot Springs resort; a laid-back, nice place to spend some time and tell some fish stories.

Pocono
Old 04-26-2010, 10:33 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road

Byron,
Late July is prime fishing on the Yellowstone R. I believe you can't go wrong with any of the fly shops in the area. If your staying in Livingston, check out Dan Bailey's Fly Shop or Sweetwater Fly Shop. If your staying in Paradise Valley, check out Anglers West. I live in the area so let me know if your looking for any other rivers in the area to fish if you decide to stay in Livingston for a couple of days.
Old 05-03-2010, 06:58 AM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

Try Mat he will give you a good day out and put you amongst the fish.
Long Outfitting - Quality Fly Fishing Adventures in Montana's Paradise Valley
Cheers
Richard