The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2010, 04:36 PM

pecos10 is on a distinguished road
Default new to me rod question

Hi All -

Great site here. I've been a long time lurker but I've a question for all you seasoned veterans so I decided to joing the group.

I recently acquired a Cabelas Stowaway 7 from a cousin. The rod looks fine but once i tried to put the rod together i realized that the rod sections don't properly fit together. Between the sections there is anywhere from 1/2" to 3/4" gap of exposed 'raw' graphite. My cousin says he fished with the rod as is and said it worked fine but I'm not too keen on the looks of the gaps between the sections.

is there anyway to get the sections to properly meet without comprimising the integrity of the rod? Perhaps lightly sanding the unfininshed graphite section until the sections come together or should I just leave as is?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:03 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: new to me rod question

what you are seeing is completely normal on EVERY fly rod. Do not try to force them together or you will end up with a very light paper weight.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 PM

imxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of lightimxer is a glorious beacon of light

Sounds like your rod might have spigot ferrules. The following info- is from the website of Steffen Bros Flyrods, users of spigots from their beginning.
If your rod does have them, this should explain the space, or gap.
----------------------------------
"From 1980 to the present we have built fly rod blanks and finished fly rods using spigot ferrules. Most Steffen Bros. blanks are built in one piece on mandrels up to ten feet long. Blanks are then cut into 2 pieces or 3 or 4 or 5 pieces and then ferruled with "spigot" ferrules.

We make our spigot ferrules with the same S-glass or graphite with which we make the blanks. The ferrules are made with the same taper as the blank for a perfect fit. The ferrules are hollow, very light, and flexible, matching the flex of the rod. This enables us to make multi-piece rods with actions just like our two piece rods. Internal spigot ferrules also eliminate the unsightly "bump" present in some rods and allow for a smooth uninterrupted taper from tip to butt.

We use only spigot ferrules. When assembled spigot ferrules have a gap of 1/8" to 1/4" between rod sections. This prevents the sections from rubbing against each other and allows for future wear. Spigot ferrules do not need wax, but a light coat of hard wax can be used. Wax should be removed after use to prevent collection of dirt of sand."
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road

Hi pecos,
Im not familiar with the type of rod you have but I own an Orvis TLS power matrix rod and there is about half an inch of graphite that is exposed like you have described. I guess thats just how the rods are made.

Bobby
Old 04-25-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

pecos10: Welcome to the forum! My rods look the same way, you should have no issues with yours.

Larry
Old 04-25-2010, 07:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Peccos,

As said, the joints are meant to be that way, welcome to the group.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2010, 03:44 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to this great forum....got replies from experienced anglers...can trust them
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If you have this type:
Click the image to open in full size.

Yup... don't force that spigot ferrule together. There should always be a gap between the sections when assembled properly. With wear and time (and abuse maybe) it is possible the sections could butt against each other but that then calls for a repair.
I loaned a friend an old T&T Extra Dry Fly and got it back with the butt sections touching. Lucky for me T&T serviced and repaired it even before the lifetime warranties were in place.
What will help the sections stay together in use if the ferrule isn't ruined is a little paraffin wax on the raw graphite slug. It helps in dis-assembly too.

I watched a guy at Winston hand fit one of those ferrule systems. In seeing the amount of tweaking he did to make it perfect I can better understand why some rods cost a bit more!
Old 05-06-2010, 10:52 AM

pecos10 is on a distinguished road

All -

Thanks so much for the information and the warm welcome. I'm looking forward to being a part of such great and knowledgeable group.