The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 12:12 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Hike-In Fishing Question

Last summer I got a brief taste of some small stream hike-in fishing while in Colorado. I really enjoyed getting away from the crowds and I plan on doing more of it this year. Right now I only plan to do day hikes (in & out) and won't be camping overnight. For those of you that do this type of fishing are you hiking in boots and bringing along an extra pair of shoes like sandals to fish in? Are you hiking in your wading boots? Hiking and fishing in the same pair of shoes? I am considering a pair of something like the Keen H2 sandals for hiking in and fishing in. I would appreciate others sharing what system they use.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:20 PM

troutbum17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hike-In Fishing Question

I use chacos on my day hike fishing excursions, the sandals have greatsupport, and use the vibrant sole on most hiking boots, lots of traction in and out of the water. They run about 100bucks but they are completely worth it. Unfortunatly they dont cover the toe, so if youre looking for a close toed shoe check out salomon shoes, they have some great water shoes that are a trail running shoe/water shoe crossover.
Tom
Old 04-26-2010, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Tex,

The Cross shoes that TB suggest sound cool. I lived in CO and spent the majority of my fishing time trekking. I'm a frugal type so I wore my Merrell trail shoes and carried a pair of sandals in a fanny pack. Generally because of the terrain and returning to where I had left the truck I just stashed the pack and shoes then swap em out when I came back to my trail head to leave. One of the ways that I found to keep me fishing more than working has been to watch every penny as if it were my last.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:13 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
. . . One of the ways that I found to keep me fishing more than working has been to watch every penny as if it were my last.
Wiser words were never said, Ard. Wished I'd learned them a long time ago
Old 05-05-2010, 01:47 AM

blakejd will become famous soon enough

Anything will do. Its all a matter of ballance. Take today for instance. I hiked in wearing wading boots and was ok till the hellish hike out. Sand and various grit chewed my calfs up. On other days this approach usually works. Your best bet is to hike in what you hike in and fish in what you fish in. If you do it a bit the balance will work out and you will find the balance between the two.
On a side note. What kind of "hike in" approach are you talking about? Just asking because it can vary a bit. 15min? 45min? 3hrs?
Old 05-05-2010, 06:56 AM

afishinado is on a distinguished road

I've never tried them, but these hiking/hippers that flod down look like they would be ideal for a long hike to a remote stream.

Cabelas Tundra Hip Boots

Cabela's Tundra™ Hip Boots
Old 05-05-2010, 08:58 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I just have a pair of keens that I got at an REI used gear sale for $10. I also got another pair a few years later that were slightly larger than expected, but actually fit over the neoprene booties on my waders, making for super lightweight wading boots. That means I could pack in an extra 4-5lbs of gear and have the ability to wade if I needed too. Something I will likely be doing this summer.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

On short hike in and fish type days I am typically wet wading. I will typically just go into the water with the boots that I used for the hike in. I keep a dry pair of shoes in the car so I can change once I get back. On longer hikes I will use a separate wading shoe or sandal.
Old 05-06-2010, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

Years ago when I was hiking into the Sierras I use canvas shoes. In those days we didn't have canvas hiking shoes like we have today. I hike in with the shoes and fished small streams. The streams were small enough that I didn't have to wade. If I did get my feet wet the canvas shoes dried out quickly. Get done fishing for the day and put on a pair of fresh socks and I was good to go on day two. There are some wonderful canvas hiking shoes that I think would work today. If you are fishing small streams like I was then this might be an option.

A pair of wadding sandals may be good if you wet wade a lot. Just make sure they have a solid toe to protect you.

Frank
Old 05-06-2010, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakejd View Post
What kind of "hike in" approach are you talking about? Just asking because it can vary a bit. 15min? 45min? 3hrs?
I think this is the determining factor. If you're talking about under an hour/2 miles of hike in, I'd go with your wading boots and guard socks. Its a bit more weight, but you'll have much better foot/toe protection, traction in the stream, and your feet will be much warmer in the cold water.

If you're talking about longer hikes in prior to wading and are concerned about weight, I'd look into a hiking boot/crocs combo. Crocs are bulky, but they're super light, and don't absorb any water. (You'll have some issues with rocks getting inside, but not really any worse than sandals. There also a bit easier to pop off and dump out. I got a pair of these with an adjustable heel strap the other day for $12 CROCS OFF ROAD WINTER CAMO MEN SIZE"12 - eBay (item 150439417897 end time May-08-10 16:15:14 PDT))

One last thought, if these streams are small enough (rod length wide or less), then you likely won't need to wade at all. Just wear hiking boots and fish from dry land.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.