The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 08:48 AM

plumber007 is on a distinguished road
Default new to fly fishing

i am getting into fly fishing and have some questions...
RODS:
what to look for? 2 pc. 4pc.? i travel out west some and would like to take with me? fishing lakes and rivers, river trout, crappie,gills..
REEL:
want a reel that is dependable and holds up well.
VEST:
i have been looking at the fishpond vests, i like them for the open mesh, i have a all fabric one now but it gets warm in the sun etc. suggestions?

everything else i can make my through with the help of the shops, but these i don't like asking at a shop and sounding completely dumb to the sport (which i am) you know the old saying , never send a woman to get the car fixed!
Thanks for your time and comments! Dale
Old 04-28-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: new to fly fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumber007 View Post
i am getting into fly fishing and have some questions...
RODS:
what to look for? 2 pc. 4pc.? i travel out west some and would like to take with me? fishing lakes and rivers, river trout, crappie,gills..
REEL:
want a reel that is dependable and holds up well.
VEST:
i have been looking at the fishpond vests, i like them for the open mesh, i have a all fabric one now but it gets warm in the sun etc. suggestions?

everything else i can make my through with the help of the shops, but these i don't like asking at a shop and sounding completely dumb to the sport (which i am) you know the old saying , never send a woman to get the car fixed!
Thanks for your time and comments! Dale
If you plan on traveling, especially on airplanes, than definitely look at getting a 4 piece rod, a 5 wt, 9 ft rod is a good all around rod. There are plenty of very good rods manufacturers out there, just depends on what you want to spend, but I would recommend casting the rod to see how it feels in your hand before buying, your local fly shop can be a huge help with this purchase.

Take a hard look at the Allen Fly Fishing reels, they have a special for forum members for $48, it is hard to beat and the reels look to be extremely well made.

Fishpond makes excellent products and a mesh style will help some with the heat, make sure the model you get has a good pad protecting the back of the neck.

Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! Don't hesitate to ask questions!

Larry
Old 04-28-2010, 01:08 PM

where can i find out more info on the price for members, i looked at the web site and theyhave nice looking stuff.

I am going to casper and gilette area at the mid may for a couple jobs... how is the fishing at that time?
Old 04-28-2010, 01:10 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Plumber007- welcome to the forum.

Larry gave you excellent advice.

A 4 piece rod in a 9' 5 weight would cover a lot of bases for what you're chasing and you'll be able to put it in overhead luggage as opposed to having to check a 2 piece.

There are tons of options out there depending on your budget. Match it up with a decent fly line. If you have a local fly shop, they can help you get a set up in your budget, rig up everything for you and give you a few pointers. They might even be willing to take you out back to give you some free casting tips, or some lessons for a decent price.

Keep asking questions as you get more into it and good luck.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:23 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to this great forum...agree with Mark about the rod and with Larry about the reelas Ard often advises ....think about a pair of waders.Looking forward to see your first fish caught on a fly.
Old 04-28-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
to this great forum...agree with Mark about the rod and with Larry about the reelas Ard often advises ....think about a pair of waders.Looking forward to see your first fish caught on a fly.
wadders? even in may,june ? would it be a benifit? i planned on using the money for wadders for rod and reel for now?

first fish .....me too!!!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:39 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
where can i find out more info on the price for members, i looked at the web site and theyhave nice looking stuff.

I am going to casper and gilette area at the mid may for a couple jobs... how is the fishing at that time?
here's the post....maybe you could pm Allen.
allenflyfishing
Trade Member Join Date: Jan 2010

re: Allen Fly Fishing - Product Discounts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone, Just wanted to let everyone know that I have a few 3/4 wts now in stock. Also, have some more 5/6 and 7/8's. Same price $48.00
Old 04-28-2010, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, you'll want waders. Water temps in May will probably be in the 50's and in June maybe in the low to mid sixties. Up here even in July and August when temps are in the 70's I'll wear waders.

Also realize that some of the best fishing will likely be at low light --- at night and dawn/dusk.

For most fishing I prefer "stocking foot" waders because of the extra support that you get from wading shoes---- BUT for surf fishing in sandy areas, I'd suggest "boot foot" waders to prevent 10lbs of sand from getting in to each wading shoe. For the fishing you'll be doing, I'd would look for a lightweight pair of breathable boot foot waders. They will be light and cool in the summer, and you can wear fleece underneath them for cool temps in spring and fall. Get a pair with a lifetime guarantee for around 100 or so.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:52 PM

thanks for all the replys!, anyone else got any input?
I did get a hold of allen fly and placing an order for a reel they look awesome,
Old 04-28-2010, 11:46 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dale,
I'm in the industry. I see at least a dozen newbies in the shop each week. If it wasn't for guys like you, I would not have a job. Go visit a shop and ask all the questions that you want. A good retailer will listen and give you good answers. And maybe in the end, you could start a positive relationship with that retailer that can last for many years.

I had a newbie come in last summer. She wanted to get outfitted without getting carried away. She had all the typical questions that may seem dumb, but I answered every single one. She got a reasonably priced outfit and lessons from the start. Almost a year later, she's spent close to $2000. Everyone in the shop has helped her in regards to telling her where the hotspots are, fly selection, and her new hobby - fly tying. It looks like the shop has a customer for life.

The way that I look at it is there is a potential life long customer walking through the doorway. Visit the local shop and ask those "dumb" questions. Maybe you will become one of its lifelong customers.

MP