The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 03:18 PM

geminus is on a distinguished road
Default Waders for a big guy

I was just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for waders for a large guy. I'm 6'1" and weight 330#...I usually wear 3xl. Any other big fellows out there that could recommend a pair to me or an outfitter that has larger sizes.

Thank you
Old 04-29-2010, 04:31 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Waders for a big guy

Simms will custom tailor a 3XL Guide Series wader for retail cost plus $75. It comes with a stocking foot bootie sized at 12-13. If you need a larger bootie, that will cost you an additional $50. Here is a size chart for a Simms G4Z wader. That should give you an idea of Simms sizing.

I am not sure if Patagonia could be much help, but here is a sizing chart. Its largest is a 2XL.

MP
Old 05-02-2010, 05:05 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Cool Re: Waders for a big guy

Though its been yaers since I wieghed myself, I'd prolly go 310 myself and have a few inches on ya heightwise too?

I wear Columbia's size XXL and fish about on average 1 day a week every week of the year. I've been happy with them as they're very inexpensive (maybe $60.00 to 80.00 bucks?). They've never leaked and I treat them pretty rough too.

They're not the prettiest for sure, but I dont care; I'm there to fish.

You'll need to buy a belt for them though as it keeps them from bagging up, and you from drowning if you go in. Of course I've yet to fish a river I couldn't just right myself and standup?

There's only one small pocket for maybe a set of keys and license, and nowehere for lfies, but I wear lanyards or SIMMS jackets mostly anyway; so not a big deal.

I will admit though, if I had the extra coin I'd probably do the SIMMS Custom route, just because they might be a bit better in Winter than what I have, and I could stay out longer in rough weather; also wouldn't need extra belt I sometimes forget?

They will cost you about $400.00+ though with all the bells and whistles and custom stuff I'd guess (booty size+)? I could be a little off, but I think I'm close.

Hope that helps?

Moe
Old 05-07-2010, 08:55 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Wright and McGill XXXL. I think they will run about $275.00
Each smallest act of kindness - even just words of hope when they are needed, the remembrance of a birthday, a compliment that engenders a smile - reverberates across great distances and spans of time, affecting lives unknown to the one whose generous spirit was the source of this good echo, because kindness is passed on and grows each time it's passed, until a simple courtesy becomes an act of selfless courage years later and far away.
Old 05-09-2010, 05:12 PM

bigboimike is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a set of Caddis waders XXL. I'm 6'9" and 330lbs and they fit with room to spare. The only issue for you may be that they have almost too much room in the foot. I wear a size 14 and I still had about 4 inches to spare. That forced me to bump the boot size up to a 16. I was lucky to find a pair that size. I hope this helps.

Mike
Old 05-11-2010, 05:02 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

>>"I wear a size 14 and I still had about 4 inches to spare. That forced me to bump the boot size up to a 16."<<

bigboimike, I looked at the Caddis Waders website and didn't see size 16 on their size chart. I also didn't see any custom program. How did you get them in size 16? And if any of you know where I can get a decent pair of waders with a custom sock option I would greatly appreciate it.

I am 6'3"+ and am only 240. My feet are size 15 plus. Some 15s are a little small on me. I end up having to buy waders for bigger guys just to get the bigger neoprene sock size.

I am looking into ordering a set of Simms just for this reason. I went to my local shop and Simms dealer - Leland Outfitters, SF. They had a sample sock in size 14/15. It did not fit. They didn't have a sample sock in 16/17. For some GD REASON they don't make a 15/16! That is probably what I need.

The fellow at Leland wrote an email to their rep at Simms asking to send the 16/17. Hopefully it fits.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-16-2010, 09:56 AM

bigboimike is on a distinguished road

If I'm not mistaken, the size chart only goes up to 13. I've tried on just about every wader brand with no luck. the Caddis waders will fit you. the only boot I found that were large enough were the Don Bailey brand. They make up to a size 16. Korkers claim to make a size 15 but they felt like a 14. Try the caddis brand waders. They'll work.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:39 PM

Noiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really niceNoiso is just really nice

Thanks
I would, but I am really tired of having to wear xxl waders just to get my foot size. I feel like I am wearing a goddamned moo moo. I need a large or large long - I have a 38 waist - sick of wearing 54!
I found a local place that has a sample Simms sock in size 16/17 - gonna go check it out tomorrow.
"By the time I was a teenager I fit the standard profile of a lifelong angler. I was lazy, shiftless, unambitious and willing to work hard only at things that were widely considered useless." ~John Gierach
Old 05-16-2010, 08:21 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigboimike View Post
I just picked up a set of Caddis waders XXL. I'm 6'9" and 330lbs and they fit with room to spare. The only issue for you may be that they have almost too much room in the foot. I wear a size 14 and I still had about 4 inches to spare. That forced me to bump the boot size up to a 16. I was lucky to find a pair that size. I hope this helps.

Mike
Yikes! 6'9" and 330? Remind me never to play 'one on one' basket ball with you!

Just kidding, have a very good friend/fishing partner that's a tad shorter, (I'm 5'11" after the 'grinding down of 68 years) but he's about the same weight. God I get a neck ache if we're standing close talking to each other. That said, Love the guy to bits!

fae
Old 05-19-2010, 06:08 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Geminus,
I'm 6'2" and 250. I just replaced my Cabelas GII's (size xxl stout) with a new set. I wear a size 11 shoe and my GII's have probably size 13 booties. I like them roomy because I duck hunt in them as well as fish and I like room for layers of insulation. They're only a buck and a quarter and I got 8 seasons out of them. Add $18. for a couple of tubes of aqua seal.