The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2010, 01:33 PM

m2ru is on a distinguished road
Default Trip to Japan -tips for what to buy

I may be going to Japan for a business trip and I'd like to look into what I can acquire there that I can't get here (US) such as DAIWA stuff! Any tips as to what flies and gear I could get there and bring back is greatly appreciated.

You can pm me if there's anything you might want me to pick up there if you want to buy too Though rods are too big to bring back (sob)
Old 04-30-2010, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip to Japan -tips for what to buy

Welcome to the forum,we have a member from Japan:Neversink. Maybe you could pm him to get some advice.
Old 04-30-2010, 03:30 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Welcome to the forum,we have a member from Japan:Neversink. Maybe you could pm him to get some advice.
If you can't get in touch with Nerversink, be sure to PM Pocono for information.

Check out this thread: Question On Japanese Flies

Larry
Old 04-30-2010, 06:33 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

There are a few items that I'd look for in Japan. (1.) Tiemco Tying tools (2.) Fenwick Yellow Glass Rod. Just because it looks cool.

to the Forum. Just noticed it's your first post.

Last edited by Jimmie; 04-30-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

Make sure you schedule time to actually go fishing with whatever you buy, so you can honestly claim it is used when you come back through customs. Otherwise, make sure you check on the duty fees that will be charged before you go - you might find your bargain is no bargain after you have to pay the inbound duty fees!
Old 05-07-2010, 01:29 PM

tightliner is on a distinguished road

Shimano has several reels that are only available in the far east. Among them is the scorpion series wich is very similar though not the same as our curados. These fetch a good sum with bait chuckers. I would check on the bass fishing home page as i recall people paying a huge premium a few years back to get these shipped over. You could in theory turn a decent profit. Keep in mind, i have not looked into this in a couple of years so the names may have changed, but i would be willing to bet that there are still several reels there, we cannot get here. Best of luck.