The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2010, 04:35 PM

cshelton is on a distinguished road
Smile Trout slam:)

So I am new here. Been a fly fisherman for the better half of my 18 years of life. So I thought this would be a good way to introduce myself on this cite. I hear this is suppose to happened in the same day, but I don't really think it matters. I am working on my own slam! Got my first brown of the year today! pretty one too. The only species I need is the cutthroat. I haven't got a clue where to fine one! So I have to do some digging. I also hear that Maryland is the only state that someone can get a trout slam, is there any truth to that? Anyway here are my pictures of the best ones I have caught so far this year, enjoy!
Click the image to open in full size.
my biggest rainbow to date, and the best fighting fish thus far in my lifetime. And I have caught grayling, pike, and bass on my fly rod, this one crushed them all.
here is a western Maryland brookie from earlier in the fall! This particular stream has a zero creel limit on brookies and ever since that rule was put into effect they have really taken off!
my 3rd brown ever. I don't know what it is, but I don't catch a lot of browns, This is also my biggest brown too.

So anyway, if you guys would like, post pictures of your "slam", and if you haven't got it yet, post away!
Old 05-02-2010, 04:38 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Trout slam:)

welcome to the forums! some real nice fish there.

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

cshelton: Welcome to the forum! It looks like you have been catching some very fine looking trout, congrats! We have lots of cutthroats out here in the Rockies.

Larry
Old 05-02-2010, 05:10 PM

moe b has a spectacular aura aboutmoe b has a spectacular aura about
Thumbs up Re: Trout slam:)

Fine lookin fish there! Congrats , good luck on rest of you slam.

and Welcome to the forum,

Moe
Old 05-05-2010, 01:50 PM

tightliner is on a distinguished road

Very nice pictures indeed!
Old 05-05-2010, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

to the forum.Nice pics
Old 05-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

If you ever make it out to Wyoming, here is another trout slam you can go after, called the "Wyoming Cutt-Slam". Here is a link explaining how it works, if you obtain all four sub-species, they will send you are really nice looking certificate: Wyoming Game and Fish - Cutt-Slam Program - 59

Larry
Old 05-05-2010, 08:41 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I think I could do it here in Oregon with a few hours of driving. I could get Browns, Rainbows and probably some Brookies east of the cascades, then drive towards the coast and catch some cutts.

Is it just Browns, Bows, Brookies and Cutts? Or am I missing a species?

Edit: Oh, I thought this was supposed to be done in one day, like a Saltwater "Grand Slam". I think I've caught everything but a Brown (including what looked like Golden trout in Eastern Montana, despite there they are supposed to be limited to)... but I have to drive three hours to get one which I will be doing this summer.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Shelton,

Welcome to the forum group. I hope you will make some more posts so we can get a feel for who you are and where you are. As for doing a "Slam" in Maryland I don't know about that unless they are stocking Cutts there. There are many good locations to fish in the Mid Atlantic region. Is that where you are at?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-06-2010, 04:06 AM

work2fish is on a distinguished road

gotta love the trout slam! great fish