The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Do You Use the Solunar Tables?

I have been away for a few days and just now saw a post that Jean Paul made to my Willow Creek thread. J.P. ask if I have ever noticed any lunar influence in my fishing and suggested that we start a thread on this topic.

I grew up about 15 miles from the home of John Alden Knight the originator of the Solunar Tables for fish and game behavior so I have been aware of their existence since I was a boy. Although I do not often plan my fishing around the moon's phase I can tell you that in trout fishing in the lower 48 states I found that the period just before and after the full moon were always slow for me. When night fishing, early on I thought the light of the full moon would be advantageous to fishing and for the sake of being able to see it was. However I remember catching very few brown trout under the light of the moon. Here in Alaska I have tried to use the lunar charts to predict the most active times for movement of salmon in the upper Yentna and Skwentna river systems and have found the results to be at 50% or comparable to that of a coin toss. Conversely, when fishing at the ocean where the full moon results in increased tidal flows the fishing can be noticeably better during the week of the full moon.

What have been your observations if any regarding the lunar cycles on your fishing?

Ard & Jean Paul (his idea)
Old 05-03-2010, 10:48 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do You Use the Solunar Tables?

Ard: This is an interesting subject. I don't use the solunar tables, but have often wondered if others did and how they fared. I also have heard that fishing at night under a full moon does not produce well,but again I have very little night fishing experience (more like early evening fishing, not night).

Larry
Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Larry,

Just last year I had a great day on a creek that runs into the Skwentna. What I mean by great is that in a period of about 40 minutes I managed to hook into 8 King Salmon. I did not take any home but got two into about three inches of water before they got loose. This place is about an hours boat ride from the cabin so that evening I consulted the tables to try to give myself the best chance I could have at more fish the next day. The tables said that the highest period of activity for fish & game would fall between 3:30 and 4:45 PM the next day so.....................................

I took off at 2:00 PM and started swinging flies at about 3:00 PM. I fished until 7:30 PM and not only didn't hook any fish but saw no evidence of them on the move at all. That was my most recent experience with trying to augment my normal fishing procedure with lunar info. Had I not read the tables my instinct would have been to be back on that water at about 6:00 AM and fished till noon but then I didn't so I'll never know. I will be following my intuition this season rather than Mr. Knight's tables.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-03-2010, 11:57 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My fishing partner has a watch that he wears fishing that shows the solunar times. He's always pointing out to me when it's the best time to fish and when it's not
We're already fishing !!!
It's not like we're going to fish more just 'cuz there's 4 moons showing on his watch, or we're going to stop because there's only 1

Not that I've ever studied or understood the solunar nuances ( I know that there's 4 times during the day when there's the proper gravitational pull) but the stage of the moon is far more important and needs to be part of your strategy when you fish the salt, at least here in the north Atlantic. The tides are strongest during the time of the full and new moons and both bait and game fish travel on the strongest tides. Sometimes that's all it takes to turn the fishing from dead to a full blown blitz.
A new moon in general is better than full at least on cloudless nights. This was proven to me one night while fishing a fairly shallow beach. The action picked up like usual about an hour after dark, but there was a late rising full moon, sometime after midnight. The bite turned right off as soon as the moon was up over the trees and the fish headed for the protection of deeper water.
Old 05-04-2010, 04:16 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I have found for salt water fishing its important but with fresh water there are other other things that are more important. the fish seem too know when a storm is coming and will often be almost fearless in feeding untill it hitts (for us just before a southerly change after a norwester) this is the best time too get them

at night the if you cant see your hand in front of your face it will be the best fishing, in the moon light you have too apporach the river the same as in day light the fish will spook easly because it it very easy too see anything out of the water (you will appear as a large sillouette) with a spot light I see plenty of fish on both moon light nights or dark nights you flies need too be diffrent for dark and light nights too Im not very experienced at night Ive only done it the last 2 seasons, but have had a old guy helping me with how to get better results.

Chris
Old 05-04-2010, 06:27 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for starting this thread Ard...hope to get many replies...I've never chosen the day I'm fishing according to the moon...I need fishing whenever I can that's allbut I'm convinced there's a lunar influence on fish behaviour.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:50 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

When we take our annual pilgrimage to AK, we always look to the tide charts to pick which day we go in the salt for Halibut. So, of course the solunar tables play a major part here. The salmon seem to enter the rivers from the salt based at least partly on the tidal patterns also. But down here in the lower 48, for inland creeks and streams, the weather is FAR more important. I have noticed a definite pattern that the fish feed voraciously before a storm hits (in coming low pressure front), but once the storm hits the fish seem to shut down. I have not really noticed the same type of feeding frenzy if a high pressure system is moving in.

Basically, I believe in the solunar tables for salt and anadromous species running in, but not for inland fresh water. I think this also applies to the Great Lakes and their fish runs too.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM
Administrator

I guess I should have mentioned barometric pressure for fresh water / freestone fisheries. I learned long ago as a turkey hunter the effect that barometric pressure changes had on the activities of wild turkeys and quickly applied that theory to my fishing.

A dramatic drop in the barometer generally heralds the coming of a storm front. Given the eons of time that fish have had to evolve and condition themselves to environmental conditions it makes perfect sense that they would feed prior to a storm. In the case of a thunder storm a heavy down pour quickly raises the water level and discolors the flow. Both of these conditions will make it harder for game fish to locate and capture prey. With that taken into account it makes perfect sense that the time immediately preceding a storm would be a very productive time to present flies or baits to fish.

Ard
Old 05-04-2010, 11:03 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It's a myth that a change in barometric pressure affects fish. The weather/light level associated with a change certainly does, but not the change in pressure itself.
A fish rising just 3 feet in the water column will experience a greater change in pressure than they would feel from even the strongest hurricane.
Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:With that taken into account it makes perfect sense that the time immediately preceding a storm would be a very productive time to present flies or baits to fish.

Right Ard...I've noticed that several times too...remember once fishing with my son a mountain stream in Austria,there was an impending storm...the trout started rising like mad...they went on under the rain till the water began being trouble...and we got wet