The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2010, 12:02 PM

sarah is on a distinguished road
Default Reel suggestions for a Sage Z-axis rod

So I bought my husband a fly rod to travel with - a Sage Z-Axis series, 590-4 (4 piece, 9 foot rod for a 5 weight line). Now I need to get a reel and I am overwhelmed. I was looking at a St. Croix Legend reel 5/6 weight on sale for $99 simply because it seemed like a great deal. But I wonder if I should get him a 4/5 weight instead since he already has a 5/6 weight Orvis reel...

I know this is a wide-open question, but I know very little about fly fishing equipment. So any suggestions regarding particular reels I should consider, or what to consider when choosing a 4/5 weight vs/ 5/6 weight reel would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Old 05-04-2010, 12:13 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Reel suggestions for a Sage Z-axis rod

You already bought a Cadilac of a rod, so don't hang fuzzy dice from the mirror! I recommend a Lamson reel. I think the new Lamson Guru G2 is a good reel, and of course you can always get a Sage reel....say the 3850. Both are very light weight, and neither should break the bank.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi sarah,

Welcome to NAFFF. Thanks for joining and I hope you or your husband become an active member.

To be honest there is no reason he can't use the same Orvis reel he now has. If it doesn't have a 5wt line on it you can buy just a spare spool from Orvis to fit his reel.

It is really hard to recommend a new reel with out knowing your budget. If you are looking for another good deal then you should consider the Allen Fly Fishing reel sold here on NAFFF with a special price for members.

If you have a higher budget there are many reels that would be appreciated by your husband. So if we know what you want to spend I am sure you will get a lot of good suggestions.

Frank
Old 05-04-2010, 06:39 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Sarah, welcome to the forum.

As Frank suggested, let us know your budget, I'm sure folks will come up with good suggestions.

One thing i like to do with reels is to get duplicates, (assuming the rods have similar line weights) so that spools will be interchangeable from one reel to the other. In this case it would mean buying your husband the same model Orvis reel he has now (assuming he's happy with it). You might consider that as well.
Old 05-04-2010, 08:22 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Abel TR2, Ross Evolution LT in size #2, and that's all I can think of. If you
are buying a line, Scientific Anglers GPX line works very well with the Z-Axis.
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sarah,
Nothing says "I love you" more than a fly reel. Well, that's what my girlfriend thinks. Her birthday is coming up, and she has been hinting at solid purple Abel Creek 2 large arbor reel ($385).

The reality is that there are a lot of good reels that would be good fits for a 5 weight Z-Axis. How much would you be willing to spend on a reel for him?

Here are some options.
Cost is not an object - Abel 5/6 QC ($625 and up depending on finish)
Cool looking with a Z-Axis - Galvan Spoke 5 ($335 w/olive spoke spool)
Just a darn reliable reel - Galvan OB-4 ($305)
Reel from a company with best customer service - Ross Evolution LT 2 ($275 - the olive color matches the Z-Axis nicely)
Sage reel to match Sage rod - Sage 4550 ($390)
Great bang for the buck - Lamson Guru ($189)
Goin' Old School - Hardy LRH Lightweight ($249)

MP

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 05-05-2010 at 10:44 AM. Reason: added the old school reel
Old 05-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Welcome Sarah.
I fish a Galvan Torque-5 on that rod. Nice folks to deal with, and a drag that will gently stop a train. Ross reels fill the bill as well. The Orvis extra spool is a good approach. Price being no object, style being the object, the Able fish paint jobs are sweet.
As MP said matching green is very nice.
I'd shy away from too shiny. Don't want to spook'em before we catch'em.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-05-2010, 01:44 PM

tightliner is on a distinguished road

Why not go with a pflueger medalist? Time proven and in-expensive. A true classic. Been using them for years from brook trout to Atlantic salmon. They have never let me down.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:08 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Sarah, you should know we all love to give a shout out to our favorite reels! But, just say no to a pawl drag. It's like drum brakes vs. disc brakes.
I prefer a silent drag when a fish is on (no sense advertising), the scream of the reel, isn't for me. Nor, can it have as subtle braking adjustments.
No offence meant to tightlines. It is an inexpensive and classic reel that's hard to wear out. I still have one.
But a state of the art rod (I think) deserves the same level of technology in the reel..
Esthetics and all..... then again, it just holds line, till you meet a big one.....

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-06-2010, 08:31 AM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightliner View Post
Why not go with a pflueger medalist? Time proven and in-expensive. A true classic. Been using them for years from brook trout to Atlantic salmon. They have never let me down.
No to the Pflueger because it just doesn't do the rod justice. My short list would be:

Ross Evolution LT 2: $275.00
Lamson Litespeed 2: $299
Nautilus FW 5: $250

Several Places you can order from will offer free fly line with these reels up to $70.