The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 02:24 PM

john1966 is on a distinguished road
Default A funny thing happened....

After many years of fishing saltwater here in Fl. on the shallows. I have
decided to take up fly fishing.
So I am new to fly fishing and it has taken hold of me. Anyway I recently
purchased an orvis battenkill reel and a 8wt clearwater II rod. Not wanting to practice with the line that came on the reel. I purchased something very inexpensive to throw in the back yard. For a couple of weeks now I have been
practicing and just cant seem to get any distance. Ive tried all kind of techniques Ive seen or watched. None seemed to improve the distance. Yesterday I was once again trying to break down my casting form slow things down ect. when suddenly I happened to notice something about the fly line. I had pulled line from the plastic spool up thru the guides and never noticed I was casting the wrong end of the fly line.... ......
I can tell you once I removed all the line from the plastic spool and put the correct end thru the guides everything changed...

I am glad this forum is here. i have gotten many a good tip from you guys.
thanks again
John
Old 05-12-2011, 03:24 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A funny thing happened....

John....1966...that's a good ...vintage
Old 05-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I was mentoring a fellow last week from our club's beginner's fly fishing class.
He had his line backwards on his reel (so that the drag only worked on the retrieve)
Happens to the best of us. Welcome to the group.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:53 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

At least you got to discover your mistake in the privacy of your own company. I'm NEVER that lucky!
Welcome,
Gary
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM

ausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to beholdausablebrown is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
At least you got to discover your mistake in the privacy of your own company. I'm NEVER that lucky!
Welcome,
Gary
Yeah, but then he blabbed to all of us about it instead of pretending he knew everything... To be a good fly-angler you need to practice your casting, and your pretending you know everything!

Welcome, to the forum and good luck fishing down there in FL. You gulf side or ocean side?
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 PM

hypobaricstalker will become famous soon enoughhypobaricstalker will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Skype™ to hypobaricstalker

It's what makes us better, learning from our own mistakes. Welcome!
Old 05-12-2011, 09:38 PM

russellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to allrussellb is a name known to all

No worries John, welcome to the world of fly fishing. I hope you enjoy the sport as most of us do, it's just good times.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:04 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

Common mistake that will be made over again by many others. Glad you discovered it. Welcome!
Old 05-13-2011, 12:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypobaricstalker View Post
It's what makes us better, learning from our own mistakes. Welcome!
I have to agree, we all learm from making our own mistakes! Welcome to the forum and the great sport of fly fishing! Looking forward to reading about your progress and your fishing adventures, good luck and don't hesitate to ask questions!

Larry

Old 05-13-2011, 06:14 AM

flyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura aboutflyfisher45 has a spectacular aura about

Welcome to a great site, Lots of good information here. Helped me a lot.