The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-11-2010, 08:31 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Does anyone know anything about this?

the Clark Fork River Fly Fishing Guide School or the Sweetwater Guiding Schoool? I want to attend the guiding portion of it, and was just wandering if anyone has any info on it.

Last edited by franzenangler; 05-11-2010 at 08:54 PM.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:28 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Does anyone know anything about this?

Sweetwater Guide School has been around for awhile. The guy's that operate this guide school own a shop in Livingston, MT and run lodges in Alaska, BC, Brazil, and Mongolia... top notch dudes. They run drift-boats and jet-boats in their school I believe. Plus they provide work possibilities after the school, mainly in Alaska.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:35 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I would also like some more information, I checked out the websites and it looks very interesting. I am going in to fish hatchery work with trout and salmon, but if I can't find a full time, permanent job in the next couple of years, I am considering this as an option. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge about these guiding schools, or do you know anybody who has been a part of them. I am curious about the job placement portion.
Old 05-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Longs for Cutts is on a distinguished road

One thing to note is that I know of no guide services/outfitters for whom going to guide school makes any difference whatsoever. One of our guides attended one of the other ones, and we hired him due to significant area experience, not because of the class. Several members of his class had literally never fly fished. I don't know if any of the other schools screen applicants to make they are at least intermediate anglers, but if they don't I don't know how they can be seen as reputable.
Old 05-12-2010, 09:20 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopperfishing View Post
Sweetwater Guide School has been around for awhile. The guy's that operate this guide school own a shop in Livingston, MT and run lodges in Alaska, BC, Brazil, and Mongolia... top notch dudes. They run drift-boats and jet-boats in their school I believe. Plus they provide work possibilities after the school, mainly in Alaska.
The website says they help finding employment, but does this mean they employ you in their lodges? And would they allow you to move lodges say in the off season in Alaska move to their lodge in SA and visa versa.?
Old 05-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
The website says they help finding employment, but does this mean they employ you in their lodges? And would they allow you to move lodges say in the off season in Alaska move to their lodge in SA and visa versa.?
franz: If you are interested in that school, the best source of information would be to call them with your questions.

Larry
Old 05-13-2010, 10:59 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi franzenangler,

You need to understand they try to help you find a job. If they need guides they may offer the best of the class a job. Going to a school does not make you a guide. As stated above some don't even fly fish. If it is an up front outfit they probably know of some lodges looking for guides and will give you a list of what they have. More than likely you will have to contact the lodge and get your own job.

You will also find that most guides have other employment. As an Alaska guide you only have a limited time and the season is over. Some of the good guides also guide in South America or other locations in off season. But, most guides need a job that pays the bills. Some Alaska lodges want guides to fly airplanes and drive jet boats. If they get a good fly fisher or fisherman that is a bonus but not the main thing they need. Remote fly fishing in Alaska is not technical fishing. It is all about being at the right place at the right time.

Frank