The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 06:41 PM

alexcirabisi is on a distinguished road
Default bass on the fly!

so i got me a beginner kit from 3m scientific angler a while back. i love bass fishing with my spinner, so i thought why not use more "bass specific" lures. how big of a popper would be good for a 5-6w rod with wf6f floating line?
Old 05-13-2011, 07:11 PM

cnanoski has a spectacular aura aboutcnanoski has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: bass on the fly!

I use poppers and deerhair frogs tied on #3, #4 or #5 hooks. I throw them on a 5wt rod. I have larger for a 9wt I also own.
Old 05-13-2011, 07:40 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Hey Alex,

Glad you are enjoying your combo. As for your question:

Are we talking the black basses or the white basses/ hybrids?

As for the blacks (LM, Smallies, etc.) I have found that just about anything will work so long as it has some movement and makes some noise. Also, it is important to understand that they don't move a whole lot once they establish their 'haunts'.... They often return to the same holds from year to year as well.... Thus-- presentation is extremely important-- they are lazy and won't chase a meal down when they can hid in the inky shadows and surprise unsuspecting food items all day long. As such, I have yet to catch anything overly impressive on the top water-- most of my big girls have been on wet/ streamer-- even nymphs. (this is just MY experience-- a big, smart, well aged fish knows not to travel too far for some noise on top when he may or may not actually get the thing up there....Provided he has plenty of other options right under his nose. This has been stated by many others on the forum and I concur with them)

Whites/ hybrids: I usually catch during the spawn run. In my area they are active right now-- running and moving. I look for shad boils and put a minnow pattern in right into the boil. Short of that, it is kind of a searching game-- they like shallow water with access to BIG water.... Drops, points, etc.

Black successes have been on leech patterns, wolly buggers (usually darker colors), hoppers (for top water fun), bait fish and any other streamer pattern will work, just remember presentation-- make it an 'easy meal' and they will take it.

Whites/ Hybrids: IME-- lighter colors (white, chartruse, etc.) swimming patterns. Although they will hit many other things-- people catch them with hot dogs....

Also-- bigger isn't always better..... good presentation of a small fly will catch many more than poor presentation with the biggest hardware....
Old 05-13-2011, 07:59 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

The places I fish for largemouth and smallmouth are usually lilypad and weedchoked, so my experience is the opposite of raindogt, because its just about impossible to use subsurface flies where I fish. Having said that, and I was out today as a matter of fact having a ball with them for bluegills and largemouth, Chartreuse Sneaky Pete popping bugs in sizes 2 and 4 drove them crazy, and would cast OK on your rod setup.

I totally agree that the fly needs to be placed on a large fish's nose, just about. For largemouths, I like to let the popper sit for some time before the first twitch. For bluegills and other panfish, nothing seems to matter other than rubber legs twitching.
Gary
Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Gary is spot on-- I fish mainly wood structure (standing dead wood trees, submerged tree tops that have broken off, etc.)-- for the weedy and lilly pad areas, about all you will get into range is top water stuff.... I guess I should have been more specific about what/ where you fish.

All this being said-- fish whatever structure you have available carefully.

I do love the top water stuff but have only seen the pounder to (possibly) 2 pounders with top water stuff.... The bigger fish I have seen have taken the weighted flies lower in the column, placed right in front of their cover.

Also-- as I'm sure Gary would agree- if you are going into the weeds and lilly pads, light rods and light tippets need not apply.... (actually, LM's don't seem to be too line shy-- light tippets in general with these guys need not apply.)

//Edit// Also, don't get too attached to any of your flies-- LM's like to hang out in the junk yards and losing flies will be inevitable.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:39 PM

alexcirabisi is on a distinguished road

black bass, mostly large mouth. i've got it down pretty good with my newest personal best on my spinning combo at around 6lbs (about 5 hours ago). i really enjoy the fly fishing compared to my spinning because i can aim way better and have it land a lot softer in the water. i will probly be hitting up my local store to get some new poppers. thanks for the input as well guys its appreciated

EDIT: i do tend to fish lily pads and some swampy areas but my favorites are logs. i use alot of top water on spinning and that is onething that fly fishing really stood out was there is alot of topwater stuff, to be honest i didnt think fly fishing was anything more than top water fishing until i joined this site and watch a few videos on outdoor channel and versus tv.