The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:28 AM

work2fish is on a distinguished road
Default going to guide school in june

after having pointless jobs that go no where. iv decided its time to give my dreams at least a chance. its a one week event and they teach you everything there is to know about guiding. They also refer you to other places for work. And they said sometimes they take graduates and have them work with their guides. to me it sounds exciting and im ready!
Old 05-13-2010, 08:56 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: going to guide school in june

Good luck with your dream...

Dan
Old 05-13-2010, 09:00 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Good for you follow that dream.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:02 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck! Which guide school did you decide on?

Larry
Old 05-13-2010, 09:40 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Question Re: going to guide school in june

I'm certainly not a guide, but I've been fortunate to have the services of some good ones over the years. It's hard to believe that in "a one week event . . . they teach you everything there is to know about guiding." Might be a good idea to ask them where they've placed graduates or how many of their graduates are working as full-time guides. Possibly you could even check with some of them on how much the school helped them before you commit your money. Really hope it works out for you. I'm sure more of us wish we'd followed our dreams at some point. Good luck!
Old 05-13-2010, 09:58 AM

work2fish is on a distinguished road

fly2fish,

i agree. i dont think they can teach you everything there is to know about guiding hah. i was just trying to say they teach you alot that has to do with guiding, to help you when your on the river with people. i re-read my post again and it does sound silly. theres guides who have been guiding there whole lives and im sure they still learn new things all the time.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:32 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

I have had a few friends go through the Clearwater House in Cali and all have said it was a great experience with a ton of info for you to use on the river. Guide school won't teach you everything you need to know about fishing but it gives you direction on how to handle clients and their lack of experience. The fishing part you should already know about.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Some good advice here. If the cost is significant I would check references before I invested time and money. Hard to beleive one week training would lead to a very good job. Outfitting is a very difficult porfession to be successful in and is a much more challanging job than one would think. I have met some very successfull and happy guides and envy them. Most do it part time for the enjoyment more than as a means to make a living. Good luck..
Old 05-13-2010, 04:42 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold

There is not much money in guiding if done through a retail shop. Most do it for the pro form and the enjoyment in it. Not very profitable at least around here. Doing it on your own is a little better money wise but harder to book trips.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:14 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Most good Trout water here (and many places) is National forest land, and so you need to be on a permit. They don't give those away, and that means getting on with an outfitter, and giving them a cut (20-40%). To a large extent the days of the freelance guide are over.
I do well guiding and enjoy it as much as anything I've done. Would I suggest anyone try this for a living? No.
But, if you are the type to not take no for an answer, maybe.
Until you chase clients and fish all day every day, you'll have know idea how hard guiding really is. The glowing romance fades quickly. That just leaves the guys who have to do it.
Those are the guides you want, not part timers anyway. Some clients skip booking with a shop for that reason. I eat, sleep, and breath, fly fishing. No honey dos, no safety net or 401K's. no dinner either. Just tye flies, patch waders, get ready for tommorow and go to bed..
Yesterday, after a clinic, a client lhooked/landed a 25" wild bow, on the first drift.
That is why I guide! Not the money, not standing in a stream everyday, watching birds, bugs, etc... and yes, I do see something new everyday.

Jim

ps. and no, a week long school won't do it, but it's good start. Good luck Work2fish.

Bigfly