The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 10:57 PM

alexcirabisi is on a distinguished road
Default crazy stuff!

so i was sitting here a few minutes ago reading up on some fly fishing for bass articles and thought. has anyone ever accidentally caught the attention of a frog or unwanted bird? i mean these flies are incredibly similar to the real thing, it must have happened to some one at one time.

What are some of your crazy fly fishing stories?
Old 05-13-2011, 11:13 PM

donkeotae is on a distinguished road
Default Re: crazy stuff!

Actually it has happend to me a few times! I caught a bull frog throwing a nymph while bluegill fishing, I caught a turtle on a streamer while bass fishing another time, and I have had multiple ducks and geese come over and try to eat my topwater fly thinking it was a piece of bread. And no the frog and the turtle were not foul hook, they actually ate the fly and where hooked and landed. I must say that when the turtle was hooked he put up quite a fight, I actually thought I had a catfish or carp
Old 05-14-2011, 12:26 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

My brother caught a dragonfly on a small dry.

My grandfather caught an owl while chucking flies with a casting bubble. seems he had lost some water and the bubble was floating on top. THe owl probably thought it was a mouse.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:20 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Hi Alex
I caught snake ones on nymph and couple bats
Old 05-14-2011, 11:30 AM

mtbrider405 has a spectacular aura aboutmtbrider405 has a spectacular aura about

I lived I NE Texas for 9 years and did a LOT of pond fishing on the fly rod. At dusk on hot summer nights, bats would chase my fly during my cast. Never caught one though!

-Jason
Old 05-14-2011, 11:43 AM

lol it wasnt on a fly rod but i did catch a muskrat on a topwater froggy.. that sucked... i wanted to get my lure and prevent it from having a hook in it stomach but i didnt wanna pull the sucker outa the water and get bit.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:55 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

i grew up in texas and caught tons of weird things, none of these are on a fly rod but ive caught a seagul, duck, baby alligator (that was scary), turtle, and a snake. some was on live bait others were soft plastic. catching birds is my least favorite thing about fishing, but boy do they put up a good fight.
Old 05-14-2011, 01:56 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Seaguls, a snake, few turtles and myself a few times
Old 05-14-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Seaguls, a snake, few turtles and myself a few times
lol i know what thats all about, i hate hooking myself
Old 05-14-2011, 05:24 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
and myself a few times
hahaha..yup,I forgot that ..hit that creature couple times