The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 12:47 AM

sinfly is on a distinguished road
Default Split shot question

My apologies if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and could not quite find the answer I was looking for. I am gonna fish a reservoir this next week and bought some split shot to get that fly down deep faster. I use a floating line and did not want to be switching line out so I'm going with the weight. My question is where do I place the split shot on the line? At the tippet/leader connection? or right at the fly? I'm using a 0.4g BB, gonna be fishing with the usual prince nymphs, wooly's, and midges. I usually fish small streams with no weight but I figured I would experiment on the reservoir when not hitting the tail waters. Thanks for letting me ramble.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:25 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Split shot question

Don't be afraid of a long leader, by long I'm talking 12 - 18'. I like the shot at the tippet blood knot. There are others here more advanced than I at still water fishing and I'm sure they will be able to help you further.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-14-2010, 08:23 AM

papabearoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinfly View Post
My apologies if this has been asked before, I searched the forum and could not quite find the answer I was looking for. I am gonna fish a reservoir this next week and bought some split shot to get that fly down deep faster. I use a floating line and did not want to be switching line out so I'm going with the weight. My question is where do I place the split shot on the line? At the tippet/leader connection? or right at the fly? I'm using a 0.4g BB, gonna be fishing with the usual prince nymphs, wooly's, and midges. I usually fish small streams with no weight but I figured I would experiment on the reservoir when not hitting the tail waters. Thanks for letting me ramble.
just at the tippet connection. although, in high water conditions ive put lead directly in front of a wooly bugger countless times to get it down on the bottom quickly and have caught nice fish doing so on multiple occasions.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Just take it easy with casting with the extra weight of the split shot-- and don't try and cast to the horizon until you get the hang of it-- you might need more of an open loop than normal. A long leader might be hard to manage at first (unless you are fishing from a boat or tube where you don't need to cast too far and just flip it out and drift away from it.)
Old 05-14-2010, 01:39 PM

sinfly is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys for all the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Just take it easy with casting with the extra weight of the split shot-- and don't try and cast to the horizon until you get the hang of it-- you might need more of an open loop than normal. A long leader might be hard to manage at first (unless you are fishing from a boat or tube where you don't need to cast too far and just flip it out and drift away from it.)
As far as the extra weight, I hear ya, I just started using the Thigamaboober indicator and had to adjust to that. They are kinda bulky but I like em.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

If you plan on hanging a nymph on a long leader system, you may want to use a slip indicator. Read the discussion here.

MP