The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2010, 05:40 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Le Flyshop dushe

Hope that was clean enough.
Walked into the first flyshop I've been in, in years.
I do most of shopping online for simplicity and a lack of shops withing 45 minutes.
Go into the shop, about 450-600 square feet, a few dozen rods, looks pretty well stocked, I'm suddenly elated-they have stuff -and lots of it.
I'm standing back by the leaders and a higher ranking shop official (he was wearing a vest, thats how you can tell...) asked can I help you?
Looking for a furled leader-
folded what?
furled, a furled leader
what in the heck is a furled leader (and now I can see the impatient arrogant look starting to come across)
furled, its a kind of leader for blah blah
Oh, we dont have anything like that, you sure dont need anything that sounds like what you just described, you need to quit readin' magazines, all you need is there (he points) bunch of packaged tapered leaders/tippet material, backing, lines etc.
ugh, fine, thank him grab one tapered leader in the lightest they had, a 6# test tippet.(for the bass/carp rig)
I then asked a second guy standing there, I'm thinking he wanted me to move, you carry any 2 or 3DT-F?
What? thats too light, you'll never do anything with that; he chuckles, you can use 4 or 5 and you'll never know the difference.

get the counter was asked 'you find everything alright', by the shop owner (again, the vest denoting rank, AND a name tag stating "owner")
well, yes, unless you have some 2 or 4 pound test tapered, knotless leaders that are about 9' long...
what you fishing for?
some fairly spooky bedding sunfish-
oh, you're better off with that, wagging the 6# at me (no, I didn't bother explaining)
I'm home and hugged my computer.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:56 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Le Flyshop dushe

that's why i rely on the old faithful "just lookin"
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-14-2010, 08:26 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Too bad. Not the case with my local shop - Jimmy's All Season Angler, in Idaho Falls, ID. These guys know their stuff and they remember that you're the customer. I wouldn't trade them and their expertise for all of the catalogs and on-line shops out there. Some of us are just plain spoiled.

Kelly.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:35 PM

Kelly I agree, theres only ONE reason to pay more for your sports items and thats what a talented, knowledgeable person on the other side of the counter brings to the game.
(goes for sports, auto, everything)
Additionally a place to go and brag
Old 05-14-2010, 09:30 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear of your experience. With the state of the economy, retailers need to be more accommodating to keep its customer base up and make it grow. The manager and employee could have given you a professional version of "no" that you could had accepted. That would probably bring you back to buy those silly little three packs of leaders, few spools of tippet, some flies, or maybe a new rig.

MP
Old 05-14-2010, 10:24 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
Too bad. Not the case with my local shop - Jimmy's All Season Angler, in Idaho Falls, ID. These guys know their stuff and they remember that you're the customer. I wouldn't trade them and their expertise for all of the catalogs and on-line shops out there. Some of us are just plain spoiled.

Kelly.
Kelly, I'm going to agree with you 110%. Jimmy and his dad are the epitome of fly shop owners. Unlike you though, we have to drive 200 miles to shop there
Another great shop if you're in the area of Pocatello is Roger Thompson's shop- Portneuf River Outfitters. Another one of the ultimate owner/fisher/all around great guys.
And in Montana, Kelly Gallops Slide Inn.
One of the worst shops I was ever in was in West Yellowstone. Bob Jacklins. What a bunch of a-holes. (Not Bob, but his hired? help)

Last edited by mojo; 05-14-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:27 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Now that mojo has weighed in I'll make my comment.

I've been in fishing shops all over the country and one thing I will say is that you can not make a generalization when it comes to them. Some folks are just plain good at working with others, some are not. I've been in shops where the fella there wanted to tell me how much he knew and others where the people wanted to know what I had to say. It's unfortunate that you had a bad experience and I too agree that on-line shopping is indeed a luxury, but nothing beats looking materials over in person. I use Mountain View Sports in Anchorage AK. and I can't say enough good things about the folks there. I wish you luck in finding a fly shop where you will feel welcome too.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2010, 02:13 AM

Same goes for archery shops, gun shops, which I do have quite a few experiences with- same thing, inevitably you get those who just think they are the only game in town.
I also see how a shop keep can harden up to having to listen to "but I can get this for half online.kmart/mcsports etc", customers have to be less than stupid too, which doesn't happen all that often either, LOL
I did notice an 9' 5wt St. Croissant for 99.00 that was crusted in dust and might be had for even less if its been sitting for a long time. I'm starting to think north ohians are mostly heavy stick salmon types, and that doesn't make sense with the rivers and lakes here
Old 05-15-2010, 09:26 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

I think we lose a lot of beginners (and seasoned folks too), at the fly shop level.
Lucky for me, wandered into Buz's fly shop in Modesto CA. (long ago).
He walked me through the rows of stuff, explained a few bits, waved off the Latin, grass casted with me, and sent me to the water with less fear of Fly Fishing and trout.
All my career I've remembered the intimidation I felt starting out, and passed on the good stuff Buz gave me. Working in a shop can wear a body down (especially an owner),
but customers should always feel good about walking in the door.
When they ask "can I help you?", they really should.

Jim

Bigfly