The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-14-2011, 04:10 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Just bought Korkers, need help.

I just bought a pair of new korkers streamborn. For the life of me, I can't get the soles to fit in correctly. They came wtih a little tool that looks like what I use to change my golf spikes, but i'm not sure how to use it to get the soles to fit correctly. can somebody please help me, or if there is a video somewhere, maybe you could direct me to that. They aren't the newest style of soles that just click in when you step hard on them either.
Old 05-14-2011, 05:29 PM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Just bought Korkers, need help.

These boots have the same previous generation sole insert that my boots from last year have. Mine have never quite fit into the sole of the boot properly. You cant quite get them to fully seat perfectly. I think that is why the new boots have a different type of sole insert.

While not fitting perfectly, the soles are always snug and firmly secure in the sole of the boot. Never a chance of them coming out or loose.

As for your issue SdDryFly, i think you probably have the same issues i do. You just have to use that tool and leverage them inside the sole of the boot best you can. Use it like a little pry bar. They are not going to fit perfectly but they will fit in well enough. Just keep prying best you can and once you reach that point where it isnt making any difference anymore, go get wet.

If my boots werent still in great shape and perfectly suitable, aside of the wonky sole issue, i would get the new ones. frankly i like the all black of mine a bit better than the new.

Good luck!
Old 05-14-2011, 11:27 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

I recently picked up a pair of Redsides with 3.0 soles and dont have an issue at all. It is very easy literally less than 30seconds per boot and no need for a tool.
I did see a good youtube video on how to use the pry tool. It might have been done by Oregon fly shop, but I would check youtube and search korkers sole change.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:20 AM

TAT is on a distinguished road

Hows the sizing on the 3.0's? Have they changed the rule of going up a size? Last time I tried on the Korkers I just couldn't hit the sweet spot of fit. Seems the 11's were too tight and the 12's were just too long. No half sizes or widths were available and don't think they are now. I wear a 10 1/2 street shoe.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:13 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAT View Post
Hows the sizing on the 3.0's? Have they changed the rule of going up a size? Last time I tried on the Korkers I just couldn't hit the sweet spot of fit. Seems the 11's were too tight and the 12's were just too long. No half sizes or widths were available and don't think they are now. I wear a 10 1/2 street shoe.
I upsized one. Street shoe of 11, the 12s fit great. But I have breathables with neoprene stockings so that might make a difference. I think some come with rubber and felt soles, mine were rubber and studded rubber. Which is great for me. Alaska banned felt starting next year.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:15 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I insert them exactly like the guy in this video. Have never had a problem.

Old 05-16-2011, 04:51 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Not seen Korker bottom change(s) in action so the above was darned informative (also time for a new set of boots). After you watch the above, the next video (across the bottom) is the one from Korkers.

It really is pretty darned easy. But a couple of questions for the folks who have these boots:

I ware a size 10 street shoe, but usually a size 11 or 12 wader boot for proper sizing. How do these things work in that regard.

Second question is there appears to be about 6 different bottoms you can purchase; which ones do you really use/need?

fae
Old 05-16-2011, 08:15 AM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light

I normally wear a street shoe in 10.5/11 and I got size 13 Korkers. They are a little big, but comfortable and fine to walk in. I probably would've got a size 12, but the 40% off helped in my decision to go with the 13's. The guy at the store told me he usually goes 2 sizes up with Korkers.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:36 AM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

Just a quick point regarding the previous version of Korkers compared to the new version with OmniTrax 3.0 soles regarding size, as the sizing is different. One of the points Korkers makes with their new style boots (Chrome, Metalhead, etc.) is that the boot sizing is the same as shoe size. I found this to be incorrect. I wear size 11 to 11.5 in most shoes. In the new style Korkers, size 12 fits me fine, and I couldn't have gone any smaller.

For those considering the new Korkers with the OmniTrax 3.0, make sure you try them on first or, if you can't, order a 1/2 size or full size larger. When you need to fit neoprene booties and socks in the boots, the extra room will be needed. You don't need to size up as much as you did with the previous version, but you still need to go larger than shoe size.
Old 05-16-2011, 08:42 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

I tried on a pair on Saturday.. they were larger for the size than I expected.. I actually did take the same size as my street shoes, unlike other boots.

Maybe it's a width thing, vs just length, but the 12s I would normally buy, seemed much too big