The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 07:40 AM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default what do you take with you on the water....

So what do you take with you on a fishing trip...what do you carry>
Old 05-15-2010, 09:52 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: what do you take with you on the water....

What do you mean? You can't mean you want us to type down everything we carry in every vest pocket and all of the stuff we carry with is in our car, can you?
Short answer, lotsa stuff!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:01 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

The normal stuff, flies, tippet, extra leaders, forceps, camera, cell phone, floatant, xink, ty-rite, nippers with nail knot, wader repair with UV light, net, strike indicators, a bottle of water and a small snack. The extra fly rod and reel is in the vehicle. I also take an ice chest if I want to keep some fish to eat. I put my wet waders and boots in it too. A wading staff would be nice but I haven't purchased one yet. P3AT and or G19.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:38 AM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road

nice,,whats the one thing you allways forget?
Old 05-15-2010, 11:52 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Too much, especially too much to make a list. I do one thing before leaving home for any outing - I go through a mental list I've tucked in the back of my brain over the years:

1- Rods and reels?
2- Waders and boots?
3- Gear bag?
4- Chest pack and flies?
5- Wading Staff?
6- Net?
7- Water and snacks or lunch?

Then it's time to go.

Just the evening before last I headed out with my youngest son to fish the lower Henry's Fork, I went through the mental list, we drove to the water, rigged up and then I discovered I had taken all but two of my fly boxes out for show at some recent tying demos. Luckily I had some of the flies I needed, but mentally it really messed with me to be on the water and realize I was a bit handicapped without my full arsenal.

Kelly.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:59 AM

boreal is on a distinguished road

I try to stay minimalistic myself.
Flies, tippet, leaders, hemostat, nippers, splitshot, fly line dressing, fly floatant, license, strike indicators, compass, cell phone and smokes.

I use an empty Altoids tin for tag line, smoke butts and any trash.

Won't be long I'll add sunscreen and bug dope.

I may add a net at some point but I mostly fish still water from a float tube and haven't needed one yet.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

A little less each year, sooner or later I'll be ready to say what I really need.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2010, 12:08 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Minimalist-- vest w/ 2 small fly boxes (wet/ dry), nippers, hemos, floatant, extra tippet material and small Point N click camera. Not in vest: Cell Phone, ID, and Licenses. If wading, The cell, ID, camera and license goes into waterproof wader pockets.....

sometimes an extra rod/ reel (my 3 wt has become my 'go to' rod-- but I always put a 5 and/or 6 wt in the vehicle, should it become apparent that I should be throwing the big bass flies.) If I am 'hiking' and my car will be more than a 15 min. walk, the extra rod gets broken down and put into big back pocket on vest.

I absolutely hate being 'weighed down' in my vest--- maybe I am just a sissy, but they can get heavy after an hour or two on the water-- let alone all day....

EDIT/// my approach is to have what I need to enjoy my time, not to have everything I could need to make my time just perfect.....
Old 05-15-2010, 12:09 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I just got back from a trip to the Big Horn in Montana. We fished out of the boat, and I found that when we parked and hiked or waded that I didn't want to take my entire pack, so I used a pin-on nipper, put two fly boxes and two tippet spools in the pockets of my fishing shirt a few sundry items, and I was set. I didn't even miss my pack or all the other stuff I usually go on the water with.

Kelly.
Old 05-15-2010, 12:29 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: what do you take with you on the water....

So far, I'm pretty pleased that those here who claim to be "minimalists" carry as much or more than I do .
Being from the over 50 crowd, I'd add a wading staff and some magnifying glasses which are indispensable!