The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 03:56 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fishing Camera Suggestions

I'm looking to upgrade my camera that I take on the water with me. I currently use a Pentax 710 which is not waterproof, just water resistant. It's 7.1 megapixels and does an adequate job. What I'm looking for is something that is completely waterproof, takes good resolution pics and can also be used for close-up fly photography. I also don't want to have to break the bank to pay for one. Is there such a camera out there and/or what do you use? The waterproof part isn't an option, but everything else may be.

Thanks,

Kelly.
Old 05-17-2010, 05:01 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Fishing Camera Suggestions

I don't know about the cameras they probably introduced this week, but in the past Pentax had the best macro over the other popular point-and-shoot WP digital cameras.
I bought my bride the good waterproof Olympus last Christmas. If my trusty Pentax WR-33 ever dies, I'll buy another without hesitation.
They say the older digital waterproof cameras, though having less megapixels, had better CCD receptors and allowed for finer pics. I don't know the ins-and-outs and have a hard time telling actuality from marketing hype but I'm very happy keeping the antique Pentax that took these shots without any studio prep or special lighting.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:24 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I got the Olympus X-560WP for Christmas. Not alot of money ($150), 10MegP, zoom is not the absolute greatest, but it works.

Olympus X-560 WP Digital Camera Waterproof To 10-Feet (Green) - 227070 - RitzCamera.com
Old 05-17-2010, 10:19 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

I'm not the one to ask. Then why, you ask, am I posting in this thread? I'm posting to tell you my camera story. I swear I've had a camera with me every single day I've gone hunting or fishing in the past 30 years. This past Saturday I was able to go fish the Missouri for a couple of hours after I got off duty. On my first cast I caught a 27 inch (or more) rainbow. This was the largest fish I ever caught on a fly. I reached in my vest for my camera. It was not there. Doh!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:06 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

After spending a good deal of time investigating waterproof cameras, I bought a Pentax W60 a year or so ago. At the time, its 5x optical zoom was the longest available, optical (as opposed to worthless digital) zoom being important to me, resulting in a 28-140 optical zoom range. The camera has a nice feel to it, is very light and has a small yet comfortable "footprint". It's taken excellent pictures for me - some underwater - and I've been very pleased with it. It's nice to have a small camera that fits easily in a vest pocket, takes nice pictures zoomed or not, and you don't have to worry about getting wet.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:01 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

Like Fly2fish, i own a Pentax W60. It take very nice, high resolution pictures, and is very rugged too. My only complaint is that it's shutter lag is very slow, which makes capturing action shots very difficult, but not impossible

Hardly great photography......but the rod in one hand and the camera in the other....it'll do. The other isn't an action shot, but the res is pretty good.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:41 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, guys. The Pentax W60 is my first choice after doing some research, but I wanted to hear from those who are happy with their particular camera whichever brand it may be. ANyone else out there with an opinion concerning a good waterproof camera?

Kelly.
Old 05-18-2010, 06:35 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I usually use a Power Shot by Canon, but for my Birthday this year, I KNOW ;-) my hubby ordered me the new Kodak Play SPort. Check this bad boy out.

KODAK PLAYSPORT Video Camera
Old 05-18-2010, 09:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Joni: That looks to be an awesome little camera, I can't wait for you to post some fish fighting videos with it! Happy Birthday!

Larry
Old 05-18-2010, 09:17 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I can't wait! HD camera, YouTube ready, HDMI...wow...I can't wait!