The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 06:24 PM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default Ever heard of this book?

Hey everyone,
Has anyone read the book "good flies" by John Gierach? Just got it today from Trout Unlimited and woundered if it was a good read. It looks pretty good to me. I'm going to start reading it tonight.

Bobby
Old 05-17-2010, 09:50 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ever heard of this book?

New one on me, but there's so many of 'these books,' unless your an avid reader/huge book shelves .. who knows?

Sorry, no intent to be a "sour grape."
Fred
Old 05-17-2010, 10:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

While I've read many of John Gierach's books (essay collections really, with a few of exceptions), but have only flipped through the pages of Good Flies. If you get a chance, Dave Hughes Essential Trout Flies is an excellent book. Hughes doesn't have Gierach sense of wit, but so you might need both books. I actually had Good Flies in my hands Saturday night. I wonder how much Gierach has made with his writings.......
Old 05-19-2010, 05:54 PM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

My guess is you're going to see a lot of A.K. Best's influence in Gierach's fly selection: they're buddies. If you like his bugs, you might want to pick up one of A.K.'s books.
Old 05-19-2010, 08:54 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I have it on my Amazon.com wishlist and was thinking about ordering it this weekend.

I do have Dave Hughes "Essentail Trout Flies" which I believe is a must have for any fly fisherman. Hughes's "Handbook of Hatches" is also another must have along with "Orvis's Guide to Prospecting for Trout."