The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2010, 09:32 PM

bass_man is on a distinguished road
Default Question about fly lin w/looped end

I'm new to this so please bear with all the questions. I see some fly lines have a per-made loop at the end to attach your leader. On mine line it is attached with a nail knot, there is no loop so my question is if the leader. If and when I change my fly line down the road to a line with a loop on the end do I need to buy different leader to attach to the loop or do you tie some kind of knot to attach it to the loop? I have looked a bit at leaders did not see any with loops on them except for salt water stuff.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:08 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Question about fly lin w/looped end

Bassman, if you can, buy the kind with the loop in the end. You should see them where all of the other leaders are. As a matter of fact, it has been my experience that they are more available than those without the loop. To answer your other question, just tie a loop in the end of the leader. There are numerous methods of tying a good loop that are very easy.

There are a couple of good and easy examples at this link: http://www.animatedknots.com/indexfishing.php

Last edited by BigSky; 05-17-2010 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Added link.
Old 05-18-2010, 03:37 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi bass_man,

You can buy many leaders that some with a loop in the butt end. If you can't find any then tie a small loop in the butt end of the leader and fasten the two loops together. Here is a link that shows you how to fasten two loop knots together. The loops in the photos are large for the sake of the photos. Make yours much smaller.

Frank
Old 05-18-2010, 06:37 PM

papabearoutdoors is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass_man View Post
I'm new to this so please bear with all the questions. I see some fly lines have a per-made loop at the end to attach your leader. On mine line it is attached with a nail knot, there is no loop so my question is if the leader. If and when I change my fly line down the road to a line with a loop on the end do I need to buy different leader to attach to the loop or do you tie some kind of knot to attach it to the loop? I have looked a bit at leaders did not see any with loops on them except for salt water stuff.
you want a heavy line nail knotted to the fly line for the transition.... the mesh leader connectors break down over time and do not transfer the cast well to the rest of the line and fly.

use the perfection loops and the handshake knot to go from fly line to leader. you only have to tie the nail knot once and can use a coffee stirrer/straw to do it instead of an expensive tool.

i have used the braided/mesh connectors, glue, nail knots -- the nail knot is the best way ive found.
Old 05-18-2010, 09:08 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

hello. i use the same knot that i use to tie my flies on (to the end of the fly line loop). the fisherman's knot? lately i have been cheap and lazy i have would just tie tippet off the end. I was using a nail knot to make a loop and quit cause it eventually broke. I was quite upset because i had a $13 dollar poly leader on it. so instead i used a rapala knot. Again i was lazy and should have stripped the coating off the line and lost another polyleader.lol. the knot has a low profile...... well not as low as a nail knot for the loop but alot stronger. It is kind of tricky....... well if you take the caoting off it might be better.... but if your lazy like me make sure that it is cinched down very tight.lol. hope that helps.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I used to use the nail knot to tie my leaders to the fly line, but had a few come off on extremely powerful fish (I'm talking 25 lb fluorocarbon leaders, Kenai Chinook, and Costa Rica Tarpon). Now I use the Albright Knot, and zap-a-gap it in place too. Overkill? Maybe, but I haven't had one come off yet. For my trout rigs, I got in the habit so now the Albright is all I use, just omit the zap-a-gap.

Leader to leader I like the Surgeon's or Blood knots.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.