The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Access to Rivers (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/13790-access-rivers.html)

Jimmie 05-17-2010 11:16 PM

Access to Rivers

This summer I'm doing a northwest trip. The route is already set. I-15 Nevada-Utah-Wyoming-Montana-Idaho-Oregon-Ca. I hope to have some guides but will not be able to get one each day due to costs. I will visit fly shops at most stops.
Here are my questions.
Are there any publications that give public access to rivers?
What is a good way to ask fly shops for good spots? (i ask because I know that most have their own guide services and I don't want to be offensive).
Really need and appreciate your input.
Signed,
Clueless on my first trip

Hardyreels 05-17-2010 11:45 PM

Re: Access to Rivers

Jimme,

You need imput from the Fysh / Davo connection...............:D

mcnerney 05-18-2010 09:01 AM

Jimmie: What I find that really helps is getting a river map of the water you want to fish. Henry's Fork Anglers in Island Park, ID has a very good selection of river maps that show public access points. Henry's Fork Anglers 1 800.788.4479 Mike Lawson Professional Guided Fly Fishing 3340 Hwy 20 Island Park, Idaho 83429
South Fork Outfitters in Swan Valley (on hwy 26 east of Idaho Falls) also has a good selection the last time I was in there. The other thing that helps is the series of books "Flyfishers Guide to Wyoming" or the state of your choice.

Larry

Frank Whiton 05-18-2010 11:24 AM

Hi Jimmie,

Sounds like a great trip. You need to check out some of the Fly Fishing Guide Books. I have one for Wyoming, Arkansas, Florida and Michigan. I know they have them for Montana, Idaho, Colorado and other states. Take a look at the list here at Feather-Craft. Many of these books give places to stay, where to park when fishing and all kinds of related information. They usually cover all of the water in a particular state or location like Yellowstone.

Frank

2PawsRiver 05-18-2010 01:06 PM

Sounds like a fantastic trip........do lots of research, take lots of pictures, be safe and have a great time.

BigSky 05-18-2010 09:49 PM

Jimmie, For Montana, contact Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks. They have a free publication that gives every public fishing access site in the state. In addition to that, you can access any river in MT from any public road where it crosses the river. You must stay below the high water mark while utilizing the river as it passes through private land. Montana is very "user friendly" with its waterways. If you need additional information regarding Montana you can pm or e-mail me and I will be glad to help in any way that I can.

webrx 05-19-2010 07:11 AM

There is a Truckee River Access Map that can be purchased in the local fly shops that shows parking and access along the Truckee for both the Ca and NV sides.

d

JoJer 05-19-2010 05:36 PM

I use the heck out of my "Flyfishers Guide to Idaho" also by Ken Retalic. It has the info you asked about. I'd pair that with a Idaho Road and Recreation Atlas from Benchmark.