The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 11:01 PM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Spools of thread

Hey guys and gals I need some help. I have a few stations that I am working on that don't have alot of space for spools and I am curious to know how many spools each tyer usually has sitting around their tying station so I can gauge how many I should have on them. Whether they be thread, wire or flash how many (roughly) do you typically have lying around for all the flies you tie?
Old 05-16-2011, 06:34 AM

wabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nicewabi is just really nice
Default Re: Spools of thread

I'm fairly new to tying (only a few years at it), but I have 27 spools at this time.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:22 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Um, I'm not really sure:

[IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 05-16-2011, 07:24 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I have a few more than a dozen, but I found that I don't need dozens and dozens of colors for the flies that I tie. If all I'm doing is dubbing a body and don't have the color, I use tan. Put a tight dub on it and you won't see any of the tan.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

Agree with ant. I have a lot of thread, but you can get a lot of mileage out of the following colors:
- White
- Black
- Olive
- Red (I use a couple different shades from crimson to orange)
- Tan
- Gray

The other thing to remember is depending on sizes and types of flies you're tying, you'll need the above colors in more than one size and weight. If you're tying dry flies in 16 or smaller, you'll need a 6/0 or smaller. If you're tying woolly buggers in size 4, a 3/0 monocord usually does the trick.

These are the variables that prevent me from telling you that whatever I use will work for you. I'd say get the basic colors in the sizes you need, and you can do a lot with dubbing and wraps that render the thread invisible in the final tie.

All this being said, thread is relatively inexpensive compared to other fly tying materials. Over time, you can build up a good variety of threads that you use for your ties. It's not the cost that should concern you. Now, as for dry fly hackle . . .
Old 05-16-2011, 08:39 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Um, I'm not really sure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
lol - Nice!

Compared to that.. I have nothing.. maybe 125? (probably a little more)

I have at least 25-30 - just in wire
Old 05-16-2011, 09:19 AM

troutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to beholdtroutdoorsman is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Um, I'm not really sure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
WOW! There isn't a station in the world that would accomodate that collection! Thanks guys that gives me a better idea on the minimum I will need for spool posts.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:11 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

44 spools for fly tying, plus 12 that I bought specifically for making furled leaders.

Chris
Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: For what its worth, I have one of your trout stands loaded with thread, it holds 35 spools, then I have a lazy susan stand made of oak specifically designed for thread spools that holds another 84 spools (21/per side), then a few miscellaneous spools that don't have a home.

Larry

Old 05-17-2011, 12:00 AM

All info helps Larry. It helps me with the numbers for some larger wall hangers that can accomodate bigger numbers of spools. Thanks guys!