The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 07:20 AM

bwofish is on a distinguished road
Default Removing Split Shots

Is there a way to remove small split shots from your leader, If I want to take weight off I usually just cut it off and tie on more tippet, but was wondering if there was an easier way of removing weight.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:27 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Removing Split Shots

I keep my finger nails a bit longer than most guys, and can usually get a split pried open with them. Sometimes if you take your needle nosed pliers (forceps usually aren't strong enough) and pinch the back half of the split, opposite the cut, it will open enough to release the leader.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-20-2010, 07:26 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I usually take the fly off and slide it off the end of the tippet.

d
Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I have a pair of forceps with a small tapered needle in one of the jaws. I think they're Dr. Slick. You line up the needle on the splitshot seam & squeeze slightly & it opens up the shot just enough to get your fingernail in to spread it open enough to remove it. For light tippet I don't trust splitshot not to damage the tippet, so I use " Tungsten Putty. You just pinch off a bit of it & roll it around the tippet to form a noodle. You can remove as much as you need without any damage to the tippet.
Old 05-22-2010, 07:50 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Nippers work great. Align one blade with the "slot" in the split shot and squeeze gently. If the split shot doesn't open immediately and easily try moving the blade a bit to better center it in the "slot".
Old 05-23-2010, 07:02 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Dinsmore shot has a built in nail slot to open them. Also there is a split shot for bait fishing that works.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 05-24-2010, 07:01 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

I follow an old family tradition, and use my teeth and bite down on the back end.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 05-29-2010, 01:54 PM

professor is on a distinguished road

I have a small Swiss army knife attached to my vest and use the blade to open the split shot. The scissors also come in handy for modifying hackle on flies.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I too, like Fishen50 use soft lead for weight on fine leaders. If I use shot it is the Water Gremlin brand with the little ears for removal.

I have become a fan of tungsten leaders and lead heads so I seldom use shot anymore.