Useful Info

boser

Reaction score
I know not everyone is as nieve as I was but I thought I would share this info with the members. I hope no one is offended as this is just some info to save some money.

I shipped a rod to TFO via UPS a while back and since I did not have a container the total cost to ship was about 17 dollars. I thought that was a little steep so this time I used USPS and it cost me 5.95 total. The container was free since I shipped it Priority Mail.

Now I dont know about you but the money I saved shipping USPS could be used for more important items like Fly Tying Material .:icon_wink

Regards, Boser

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Boser,

I've been a staunch USPS Priority user since UPS did away with the old Blue Label shipping and escalated their rates. Currently I find the rates at 'Brown' cost prohibitive.
Good that you posted this because that $10 plus change you saved will easily pay for some hooks eh?

boser

Reaction score
Ard, Yes, the savings did allow me to procure some hooks. In these hard economic times I figured someone may be saved the higher cost of shipping if I posted this subject. The good news is I broke my TFO atually catching some fish. The crappie and bass are really hitting here in the midwest. Hopefully I'll get west this summer for some trout...

Best Regards, Boser

cwg

Reaction score
Good one, I'll look into postal as I do ship a bit, and fedex while I like the tracking number, is getting costly

JoJer

Reaction score
I think the competion has dragged USPS up quite a bit in the last few years. I mail stuff now that I wouldn't have trusted them with years ago. They've become more dependable, faster and I don't get soaking wet packages that look like they dragged them here anymore.

boreal

Reaction score
My first addiction is archery...I buy/trade/sell a dozen bows a year all over the world.

I use USPS for everything. Priority with delivery confirmation and I can get a bow box anywhere in the ConUS for 12-17bucks.

cwg...confirmation or insurance will get you a tracking number and confirmation is like .75 or 1.50 or something.

stasher1

Reaction score
I'm doing more and more shipping through USPS lately. The last package I sent via UPS was a 7' casting rod in a cardboard shipping tube. Cost me about $25 to ship it 140 miles. :mad:

Would've almost been cheaper to fill the tank in my Suburban deliver it in person. :rolleyes:

Brewmaster

Reaction score
I shipped a rod back to TFO today - I took the rod to the USPS, cost $5.95 to ship Priority mail (2-3 day delivery) and only $2.75 for $200 insurance. The insurance gets you a tracking number that you can either call or track online.

Just for fun I checked with UPS and they wanted $14.25 to ship and $8.80 for $200 insurance. I guess the folks dressed in brown think their prices don't stink!

The folks in blue at USPS will continue to get my shipping business.

JoJer

Reaction score
I've also read a couple of threads where people had a problem with gun auction items bought online. Many responders suggested that USPS/money orders gives you an extra layer of protection because the Feds are involved and will investigate and prosecute frauds.

axle27

Reaction score
Wow, I need to play the lottery this week or something. Almost everything I've been thinking about has been cropping up on boards all over the place.

I work for the USPS as a contractor. I appreciate the comments here. I, also, use the USPS for all my shipping...basically because the post office is right next door :D

I'm going to be shipping a rod/reel to someone next week, but I'm having a rough time finding a shipping tube that is long enough (somewhere around 53"). Anybody got any ideas?

JoJer

Reaction score
Wow, I need to play the lottery this week or something. Almost everything I've been thinking about has been cropping up on boards all over the place.

I work for the USPS as a contractor. I appreciate the comments here. I, also, use the USPS for all my shipping...basically because the post office is right next door :D

I'm going to be shipping a rod/reel to someone next week, but I'm having a rough time finding a shipping tube that is long enough (somewhere around 53"). Anybody got any ideas?
Thin wall PVC pipe.