The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 07:02 AM

rockhoppernc is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ethics question, and your favorite small stream

here is something i do when i run into this,,,i bring some string and just pull it away from where i am fishing,,,then when i am done i let it back,,,
Old 05-20-2010, 07:09 AM

raym is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Fishing lines in trees are another story. I'll cross chin deep water to cut that nonsense down, and even pack it out. There's something about 100 bobbers and nine miles of 30lb test dangling from a tree that rubs me the wrong way
Frank,
I agree with you and would try to clean up fishing lines as best I could. I always take a plastic bag with me to gather any trash I find while fishing. It seems there are a lot of messy live bait fishermen out there judging by the type of trash I find.

Bending a branch is about as far as I go with disturbing vegetation. Maybe I don't have enough fire in the belly to start hacking branches. Maybe it's the botanist part of me that to prevents it. For me it more challenging to try to work around the obstacle than modify it.
Ray
Old 05-20-2010, 07:45 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

BTW, the only thing I would consider removing are those invasive grape vines- or just cut a foot section from the base and let it die in place.
My old farm it was a constant battle saving trees from those things. Every couple years a few days spent hacking sections, pulling vines down etc.
I dont have the stones to cut any viable anything overhanging, as mentioned, cant reach it, come up with a work around or move on. Additionally those overhangs keep the sun out, and supply bugs, no?
Old 05-20-2010, 08:50 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Streamside bushes are just part of the challenge IMHO
Old 05-20-2010, 09:13 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

I am blessed to have married a woman who's father owns a very large stretch of land that a very nice free stone trout stream runs through (about 1.5 miles both sides of it). It is a small stream, rarely more than 20 feet wide, and edged very thickly by Mountain Laurel, Rhododendrun (spelling?), and various other bushes. The creek is aptly named Brush Creek. Here in PA it is illegal to cut that brush, one because it potentially enables the erosion of the banks, and two beacuse Mountain Laurel is the State Flower, and very protected. I know a few twigs is different than chain sawing a tree, but it all adds up. Prune a bush at the wrong time of year and it dies, no more root system, and, well, you get it.

All that aside, I had to talk very long and fast to get my father-in-law to not post his entire property this past spring. He is an avid fisherman, actually a professional fly fisherman, and an individual (?) "trimmed" the bank flora on his property. He agreed to not post it, but if it happens again, no amount of my protestations will stop him.

Bottom Line. If you can't handle the brush, don't fish there unless you own it.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-20-2010, 09:48 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

The only time I have ever permanently removed something was when an errant branch kept finding a way to poke me. I was roll casting from a lake shore and was surrounded by trees. I don't feel the least bit bad because the branch started it...
Cabot
Old 05-20-2010, 10:53 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Man, have I thought about this....
So far I've managed to restrain myself.
Nice looking trimmers though......
I will confess to removing beaver trimmings from the water when I hook them.
Of course, I look first to see what bugs might be on them.
I often stock my box with flies, from a down tree on one hole.
Casting practice, for them, booty for me.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-20-2010, 10:57 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekiu002 View Post
I don't feel the least bit bad because the branch started it...
I love it!

MP
Old 05-20-2010, 04:40 PM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

As a horticulturist-- I'd say sure go ahead-- using those pruners..... You'll give up before any vegetation will.... My hands hurt just thinking about using those....

Now a pair of Felco # 2's-- that's a different story. lol

Real answer-- never thought about it-- always considered overhangs and branches as part of the game. To be honest, while frustrating, I lose an average of 1 or 2 flies an outing by purposely throwing into cover....
Old 05-21-2010, 03:38 AM

ChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud ofChrisinselwynNZ has much to be proud of

I havnt done it and will just cast diffrently if I want to catch whats there, in some places you can get taken to court for trimming (even noxious weeds), there's always one further along to try for my favorite small stream is Hearts creek its mainly 4-6' wide and has browns in it that are big (esp it the pools) like 12lb 30" models my best from there is 18" tho

There is one place that I fish that had an annoying willow branch in the river (it got a few of my flies) some one removed it now the group of big fish that held by it are gone and there is no point fishing that spot

Chris