The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Ethics question, and your favorite small stream (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/13815-ethics-question-your-favorite-small-stream.html)

cwg 05-19-2010 01:40 PM

Ethics question, and your favorite small stream

http://www.johnsonsgarden.com/assets/bypassshears.jpg

you know what I'm talking about :icon_wink

cnanoski 05-19-2010 02:27 PM

Re: Ethics question, and your favorite small stream

Sometimes you just gotta trim the bush... this applies to many instances in life.:p

In all seriousness, I have fished on a small (7-10 ft across) stream in NW Oregon for years... My folks own a home that the stream runs through and I go a mile or 2 up and down stream. There are big pools, rapids, large still pools where I can sight cast to 12-15" trout that live there. One particular pool, has a fallen tree right over the middle of it, making a normal or roll cast impossible if I want to reach the head of the pool. I have though alot of times about bringing a small saw to take care of it, but never have. The 15" trout that lives in there, that I have caught once, probably needs the cover and the protection from any others who may wander up that creek. I'll leave nature to do what she does. It adds to the challenge. Just my opinion.

peregrines 05-19-2010 02:58 PM

Great thread-- this should be good.

I haven't done it----- but I'm guilty of having thought about doing it :)

thonyb 05-19-2010 02:59 PM

hello. I have wanted to do it many times instead of the shears we wanted to use a chainsaw with a 34inch blade:D: When im not catching anything (alot of the time) it gets me pumped to fish tough water. Like casting under branches.I agree cnaoski if you make it easier, it makes it easier for everyone else.

fredaevans 05-19-2010 05:23 PM

For me, not a question of "Ethics," but one of ya gotta do what you gotta do. A bit of branch 'defoliation' is minimal, we're not talking about knocking trees down here.

Just my .02 cents.
fae

Hardyreels 05-19-2010 05:45 PM

I have not had to do that. If a fish lives in a spot where I can't present a cast then that fish lives where I can't present a cast. It is that simple, catching fish does not mean that much to me.

boreal 05-19-2010 07:15 PM

If it gets to where I need to trim those little things aint gonna do the trick:D

Honestly I figure If they find that good of a hiding spot..they win....but I'll lose a box of feathers tryin to get in.

Teamanglerx 05-19-2010 08:49 PM

When I used to fish bass tournaments I carried a saw to get into certain holes and I knew others who kept chainsaws in their boats for the same reason. While making access may be easier by triming you take away some of the challenge of our sport.

When I caught my big brookie last year he was nestled in the Y of a fallen tree branch with his nose 10" from it. I had to cast about 25 times to it hoping each cast would be a) close enough to catch his interest, b) not snag my fly causing the whole situation to be blown and c) not spook him away. When I finally caught him I had to keep him out of the tree during the fight which was a giant challenge. To me, that catch of a lifetime was better because I had to use my skill to defeat not only the fish but the environment as well. Plus, what good of a fishing story starts "well I cut down this tree because my casting sucks..."

FrankB2 05-19-2010 10:38 PM

I know a woman that carries pruning shears. She's a senior, and doesn't wade much. I've pulled down some hanging branches where there's a single branch
in the way of another otherwise clear lane. Most of the streams and lakes I fish are part of state, county, and even national parks. I don't feel comfortable messing with the landscape work on public property, so I try to work around such things. I did watch 3 guys make a 20 foot wide opening along the bank of a county lake last Fall.... :eek: After they finished removing a huge amount of bushes, they hauled the back seat of a car to their new porch by the lake, and began fishing. This was on a path that sees plenty of daily foot traffic, and that car seat is still there.....???

Fishing lines in trees are another story. I'll cross chin deep water to cut that nonsense down, and even pack it out. There's something about 100 bobbers and nine miles of 30lb test dangling from a tree that rubs me the wrong way.:(

cwg 05-20-2010 06:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FrankB2 (Post 92167)
. I did watch 3 guys make a 20 foot wide opening along the bank of a county lake last Fall.... :eek: After they finished removing a huge amount of bushes, they hauled the back seat of a car

There's something about 100 bobbers and nine miles of 30lb test dangling from a tree that rubs me the wrong way.:(

Wheres a ranger when you need one? On my property a few years ago suddenly out of the front window of my ground blind a game warden appears asking for hunting license!! (p-r-i-v-a-t-e property) I know they are few and morons are many, but I've seen where idiots cut down trees to use for make shift seats presumably, along rivers etc.

I'm bringing the pruning shears, this thread sort of started out like a joke after a quick run to a stream close by, but your post about the bobbers made me think- they're coming in my pocket next time, and I swear to God if a ranger jumps out from behind a bush with his 9mm drawn screaming to drop the pruners, I'm selling all my stuff, lol.