The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 01:40 PM

cwg is on a distinguished road
Default Ethics question, and your favorite small stream

Click the image to open in full size.

you know what I'm talking about
Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM

cnanoski has a spectacular aura aboutcnanoski has a spectacular aura about
Lightbulb Re: Ethics question, and your favorite small stream

Sometimes you just gotta trim the bush... this applies to many instances in life.

In all seriousness, I have fished on a small (7-10 ft across) stream in NW Oregon for years... My folks own a home that the stream runs through and I go a mile or 2 up and down stream. There are big pools, rapids, large still pools where I can sight cast to 12-15" trout that live there. One particular pool, has a fallen tree right over the middle of it, making a normal or roll cast impossible if I want to reach the head of the pool. I have though alot of times about bringing a small saw to take care of it, but never have. The 15" trout that lives in there, that I have caught once, probably needs the cover and the protection from any others who may wander up that creek. I'll leave nature to do what she does. It adds to the challenge. Just my opinion.
Old 05-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ethics question, and your favorite small stream

Great thread-- this should be good.

I haven't done it----- but I'm guilty of having thought about doing it
Old 05-19-2010, 02:59 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

hello. I have wanted to do it many times instead of the shears we wanted to use a chainsaw with a 34inch blade: When im not catching anything (alot of the time) it gets me pumped to fish tough water. Like casting under branches.I agree cnaoski if you make it easier, it makes it easier for everyone else.
Old 05-19-2010, 05:23 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

For me, not a question of "Ethics," but one of ya gotta do what you gotta do. A bit of branch 'defoliation' is minimal, we're not talking about knocking trees down here.

Just my .02 cents.
fae
Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have not had to do that. If a fish lives in a spot where I can't present a cast then that fish lives where I can't present a cast. It is that simple, catching fish does not mean that much to me.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-19-2010, 07:15 PM

boreal is on a distinguished road

If it gets to where I need to trim those little things aint gonna do the trick

Honestly I figure If they find that good of a hiding spot..they win....but I'll lose a box of feathers tryin to get in.
"I knew a tier once. One time he was holding a lump of cat hair he found on his couch, sort of twirling it about his fingers, tugging at it. I asked, what in the hell are you doing man? He looked startled, ashamed. But I knew what he was thinking. right then and there I decided to just buy my fly's thankyouverymuch." ~ cwg
Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

When I used to fish bass tournaments I carried a saw to get into certain holes and I knew others who kept chainsaws in their boats for the same reason. While making access may be easier by triming you take away some of the challenge of our sport.

When I caught my big brookie last year he was nestled in the Y of a fallen tree branch with his nose 10" from it. I had to cast about 25 times to it hoping each cast would be a) close enough to catch his interest, b) not snag my fly causing the whole situation to be blown and c) not spook him away. When I finally caught him I had to keep him out of the tree during the fight which was a giant challenge. To me, that catch of a lifetime was better because I had to use my skill to defeat not only the fish but the environment as well. Plus, what good of a fishing story starts "well I cut down this tree because my casting sucks..."
Old 05-19-2010, 10:38 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I know a woman that carries pruning shears. She's a senior, and doesn't wade much. I've pulled down some hanging branches where there's a single branch
in the way of another otherwise clear lane. Most of the streams and lakes I fish are part of state, county, and even national parks. I don't feel comfortable messing with the landscape work on public property, so I try to work around such things. I did watch 3 guys make a 20 foot wide opening along the bank of a county lake last Fall.... After they finished removing a huge amount of bushes, they hauled the back seat of a car to their new porch by the lake, and began fishing. This was on a path that sees plenty of daily foot traffic, and that car seat is still there.....???

Fishing lines in trees are another story. I'll cross chin deep water to cut that nonsense down, and even pack it out. There's something about 100 bobbers and nine miles of 30lb test dangling from a tree that rubs me the wrong way.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:57 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
. I did watch 3 guys make a 20 foot wide opening along the bank of a county lake last Fall.... After they finished removing a huge amount of bushes, they hauled the back seat of a car

There's something about 100 bobbers and nine miles of 30lb test dangling from a tree that rubs me the wrong way.
Wheres a ranger when you need one? On my property a few years ago suddenly out of the front window of my ground blind a game warden appears asking for hunting license!! (p-r-i-v-a-t-e property) I know they are few and morons are many, but I've seen where idiots cut down trees to use for make shift seats presumably, along rivers etc.

I'm bringing the pruning shears, this thread sort of started out like a joke after a quick run to a stream close by, but your post about the bobbers made me think- they're coming in my pocket next time, and I swear to God if a ranger jumps out from behind a bush with his 9mm drawn screaming to drop the pruners, I'm selling all my stuff, lol.