The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 11:20 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Fly Fishing & the Movies

Hopefully it will make more sense with the pictures...

This is what happens when I get bored... I'm sure I missed one so if you have a favorite please share it with us.
Thanks,
Terry

Paint Your Wagon
Explanation: Not anything about fly fishing but it was filmed in Baker, Oregon where Clint Eastwood's photo was taken during a break in filming. Watched it last night and said to myself what good looking trout streams they must be. One of my favorite comedies.
Quote: Lee Marvin as Ben Rumson: There's two kinds of people, them goin' somewhere and them goin' nowhere. And that's what's true.

Click the image to open in full size.

A River Runs Through It
Explanation: And the one and only. The movie of fly fishing lore. So many quotes to chose from. The list is long. If you would like more I can provide them....
Quote: Tom Skerritt as Rev. Maclean: [walking away from the river] The Lord has blessed us all today... It's just that he has been particularly good to me.
Quote: Tom Skerritt as Rev. Maclean: Each one of us here today will at one time in our lives look upon a loved one who is in need and ask the same question: We are willing to help, but what, if anything, is needed? For it is true we can seldom help those closest to us. Either we don't know what part of ourselves to give or, more often than not, the part we have to give is not wanted. And so it is those we live with and should know who elude us. But we can still love them - we can love completely without complete understanding.
Quote: Robert Redford as Older Norman: [narrating] It is those we live with and love and should know who elude us.
Quote: Emily Lloyd as Jesse: Why is it the people who need the most help... won't take it?
Quote: Robert Redford as Older Norman: And I knew just as surely, just as clearly, that life is not a work of art, and that the moment could not last.
Quote: Robert Redford as Older Norman: [narrating] They were Methodists, a denomination my father referred to as Baptists who could read.
Quote: Robert Redford as Older Norman: [narrating] In my family, there was no clear division between religion and fly fishing.
Quote: Robert Redford as Older Norman: [narrating] My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - came by grace; and grace comes by art; and art does not come easy.
Quote: Robert Redford as Older Norman: [narrating] Like many fly fishermen in western Montana where the summer days are almost Arctic in length, I often do not start fishing until the cool of the evening. Then in the Arctic half-light of the canyon, all existence fades to a being with my soul and memories and the sounds of the Big Blackfoot River and a four-count rhythm and the hope that a fish will rise. Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cut by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rocks are the words, and some of the words are theirs. I am haunted by waters.

The River Wild
Explanation: I've seen this one but don't care much about it but at least it has fly fishing in it.
Quote: Kevin Bacon as Wade: We never had nicknames where I came from. Certainly not "White Water." White trash, maybe.

In Love and War
Explanation:The last bit of this movie has Ernest Hemingway fly fishing a pond.
Quote: Chris O'Donnell as Ernest Hemingway: You love me, you just don't know it yet.

Big Fish
Explanation: So its not really fly fishing but it is about fish in a way. This is another one with so many quotes to chose from. Here are some of my favorites.
Quote: Ewan McGregor as Young Ed Bloom: There are some fish that cannot be caught. It's not that they're faster or stronger than other fish, they're touched by something extra.
Quote: Albert Finney as Senior Ed Bloom: Truth is, I've always been thirsty.

Deliverance
Explanation: Not really fly fishing related but since I enjoy Traditional Archery & Bow Fishing I thought I would add this one...
Quote: Burt Reynolds as Lewis Medlock : Sometimes you have to lose yourself 'fore you can find anything.

Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Default Re: Fly Fishing & the Movies

If everyone wants to see the actually pictures that I posted please visit the following:

http://www.lsff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=69#69

Unfortunately, we cannot edit our post. Sorry for the trouble.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 09-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Here is another one I found...

Jeremiah Johnson
Explanation:The only fish related scene in the movie is when he is new to the mountains, hungry and trying to catch trout with his bare hands, looks up and sees the Indian on horseback with a stringer full o nice ones hanging from his horse. The stare he gives him is great.

Quote: Narrator: [Opening lines] His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a mountain man. The story goes that he was a man of proper wit and adventurous spirit, suited to the mountains. Nobody knows where abouts he come from and don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none. He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better. Bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below.
------------------------------------------------------------
Quote: Jeremiah Johnson: Do you know where I can find beaver, bear, and other critters that are worth cash money when skint?
Quote: Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Can you skin Griz?
Jeremiah Johnson: I can skin'em as fast as you can catch'em. then Bear Claw runs through the cabin with a huge Grizzly Bear close behind and jumps out the back window.
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Skin that one pilgrim and I'll get you another!
Quote:
[Jerimiah finds the frozen body of Hatchet Jack]
Hatchet Jack: I, Hatchet Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs, do leaveth my rifle to the next thing who finds it, Lord hope he be a white man. It is a good rifle, and kilt the bear that kilt me. Anyway, I am dead. Sincerley, Hatchet Jack.
Quote:
Del Gue: Ain't that Hatchet Jack's rifle?
Jeremiah Johnson: Yep. Found him froze to a tree.
Del Gue: Damn! He was a wild one, old Hatchet Jack. He was livin' two year in a cave up on the Musselshell with a female panther. She never did get used to him.
Quote:
Jeremiah Johnson: Y'ever get lonesome?
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Fer what?
Jeremiah Johnson: Woman?
Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Full time night woman? I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart. I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest b!%@# that ever balled for beads. I lodge-poled her at Deadwood Creek, and traded her for a Hawken gun. But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do. But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it.
Old 10-01-2006, 10:25 AM

havoc is on a distinguished road

That was a great post I think it's also worth mentioning that Broken Trail (a movie amc made that is excellent) has a scene where Robert DuVall is fly fishing on the snake river.
Old 10-10-2006, 10:33 PM

Flyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to allFlyfisher for men is a name known to all

"The Quiet Man" starring John Wayne has a priest fly fishing while giving counsel to Maureen O'Hare.

As a priest, a fly fisherman, and someone who believes Maureen O' Hare is quite possibly God's most beautiful creation ever, I'm partial to that scene!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:49 AM

tlcgpw is on a distinguished road

you forgot about M.A.S.H.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm sorta off topic, but I couldn't help noticing that after seeing lots of untrained flailers, there is finally a flycaster on a TV commercial that is doing it right. I've noticed lots of casters on commercials that look more like they're trying to air-dry a rod than cast a line, but the guy shown for 4 seconds in the latest Claritin-D commercial really does it right. He even throws in a well timed double haul and you can see its effect on loading the rod. I found this refreshing after seeing the other floppy wristed casters in many commercials over the years.

To any who said "Cliff really needs to get out and fish more often" you are exactly right, I make no excuses.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher for men
As a priest, a fly fisherman, and someone who believes Maureen O' Hare is quite possibly God's most beautiful creation ever, I'm partial to that scene!
I'm not sure Maureen O' Hare would have inspired me to become a priest!!!

A fly fisher maybe!?!

I'm partial to Redheads!!!

No, disrespect Father! Glad to have you with us!!!

The Quiet Man, Broken Trail, and M.A.S.H. are now added to my list.

The Quiet Man who doesn't like the Irish country side.

Broken Trail was a great western. Hard to beat Duvall when riding a horse.

M.A.S.H. some of the best comedy ever made.

Later,
Terry