The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM

mighty fly is on a distinguished road
Default Rod Length

I was thinking about my next purchase and talked with a friend that fishes strictly with a 9'6" fly rod. He says he won't go back to using his 9' rods as his longer fly rods allow him to cast further, roll cast and mend better.

He fishes the Yuba and Feather most of the time but travels to all over Western States to fish.

How many of you prefer a 9'6" over a standard 9' rod?
Old 05-20-2010, 11:17 PM

BigSky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod Length

For nymphing, I prefer my 10 footer over my "shorter" rods. Some will say that the ten footer is more tiring to cast. To each his own; but, based on my experience that's a bunch of hooey. What do I know though. I probably can't tell you whether it is 73 degrees or 74 degrees outside. Anyway, the 10 footer gives better line control when nymphing, in my opinion. It also makes mends easier, in my opinion. I do however use 9 footers more often than any other rod length. That's probably because I have so many of them. Having said all of that I don't think one would regret getting a 9'6" rod.
Old 05-21-2010, 12:31 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty fly View Post
I was thinking about my next purchase and talked with a friend that fishes strictly with a 9'6" fly rod. He says he won't go back to using his 9' rods as his longer fly rods allow him to cast further, roll cast and mend better.

He fishes the Yuba and Feather most of the time but travels to all over Western States to fish.

How many of you prefer a 9'6" over a standard 9' rod?
The 9'6" rod is the compromise rod. It gives a little bit of extra length for casting and line control. It is short enough to be a precise caster. I actually used a 9'6" 6 weight in the past for those reasons.

Now I use a 9' 6 weight because I wanted a quicker 6 weight for chucking streamers. Within most rod series, the 9' rod will be quicker than the 9'6" rod.

Besides I own an 11' 6 weight switch that I use as a nymph rod from time to time.

With the Yuba and Feather being primarily drift boat/nymph rivers, I can see why your friend fishes 9'6" rods.

If it means anything, I use 9' rods for my 4, 5, and 6 weight single handers.

MP
Old 05-21-2010, 08:42 AM

tightliner is on a distinguished road

I recently went the other way with my steelhead rod. I went from a 9'6 to a 9 footer. I prefer it for its finer control. To each their own i suppose! I fish a 9 footer for trout as well. I have found that a 9 foot four weight can really get the line out but it is as delicate as can be while still being accurate.
Old 05-21-2010, 09:20 AM

mighty fly is on a distinguished road

I believe a 9' will suit my needs better as I tube fish the delta and like to still water fish. I fish more small to medium water in the Sierras and have never fished from a drift boat.

I want to make the right choice but I know there's really not one. I guess this is why so many of us own numerous rods and reels. I better hit the shops and cast both. This might help with my decision